What a great service from Conrad Johnson...

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

What a great service from Conrad Johnson...

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

Yesterday, I received for service a PV-10. This unit was serviced using the wrong parts. I wrote to Conrad Johnson, and I just got an email from Mr Jeff, sending to me the diagram and the parts list. He asked what was the problem, and I said that I got a burned diode...and I do not know what else. I sent a pic of the bad diode, and Mr Jeff wrote another email, letting me know that tomorrow I am going to get a list of the spare parts that I should change...

Guys, this is support!!! This is playing safe! A unit with I do not know how many years, there are spare parts for it.

I have to say congratulations to Conrad Johnson!

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What a great service from Conrad Johnson...

Post by admin »

Great to hear. Again, I am so glad to hear that the new owner of CJ is offering excellent service, interacting directly with customers, and generally keeping the name brand in a premium class. Let us know how things turn out with the PV-10.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Tomorrow I am getting the pro forma invoice for the parts needed... awesome! Miss Jasmine is going to send it to me.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
ajf75
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ajf75 »

Roberto, thanks for posting this news. I for one am very happy to hear it and hope it reflects a change in policy vs recent years past. There was a period of time, after Ed left service, that the only way of getting CJ internal parts was to send in the gear to them.

best of luck in getting that PV-10 back to new
AJ________________
CT5 Pre
ARTsa Amplifier
P11A Amplifier
MV-55 Amplifier
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Great news! All the more reason to invest in a great company.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

ajf75 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:54 pm Roberto, thanks for posting this news. I for one am very happy to hear it and hope it reflects a change in policy vs recent years past. There was a period of time, after Ed left service, that the only way of getting CJ internal parts was to send in the gear to them.

best of luck in getting that PV-10 back to new
In only a day of sending an email, I got the pro-forma invoice for the parts that I needed to fix this PV-10. Awesome!

Then I got a special invoice where you must register and pay their invoice with your CC. Another thing that I must say, very nice service price parts!!!!

Happy listening!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

joeinid wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:53 pm Great news! All the more reason to invest in a great company.
Hey Joe,

Not only that, the support that I got was right to dead center target! Mr Jeff is a very humble and short with words man. He goes direct to answer your questions or giving the hints that you need for proceed to to fix whatever needs service. I must congratulations to Conrad Johnson. It is very difficult to find a Company on these days, that still are servicing and supporting their goods having 10 years old or more!. I have at my working table a MV50. This amp had being masacrated by other technicians, and finally it came to my hands. I am fixing it because the new owner found my phone and email at Conrad Johnson site. He contacted me and he brought it. When I open and did see all what had happened to it, I told the customer that I was going to do my best...just wrote an email and waiting Jeff response.

It is so great to work with a Company that really do care about their customers and support them with the best advice possible.

Happy listening!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

IMG-2872.JPG
IMG-2872.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 669 times

Ok Chicos,

I have good news. Jeff really is a great engineer and knows his work. One tube at the MV-50 was not possible to bias. The LED red was on, even having the potentiometer at minimum. Jeff suggest to measure the plate voltage and the cathode voltage...and this measure hitted the jackpot.
The voltage must be totally different, and was about the same on both. This told me that I had an open ground. If you look at the upper resistor, at the left side, there is a cut of the foil of the printed circuit. This is the problem...and I found it thanks to the advice of Mr. Jeff.

We are really in a good hands with Mr. Jeff.

Happy listening!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

IMG-2876.JPG
IMG-2876.JPG (2.32 MiB) Viewed 669 times
Hola Chicos,

I made a big mistake. The pic that I sent in my previous note above, I did connect wrong the resistor. The PC trace foil is not cutted. It was my mistake. Here is a pic of how the resistor goes.

Happy listening!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks good. I see the boards are a little dirty... which is not unexpected. Using some isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab and then blowing it off with some compressed air does a good job of cleaning older circuit boards. I'm probably a little too OCD about that stuff. :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks Admin,

That's what I usually use to clean everything. It is safe for most plastics. Good idea. The problem is that this unit has being cannibalized. I am doing my best to put as the best possible.

I need you to do a correction at the parts at the MV-50. The resistors Nos 34 and 41 instead 20 ohms/5 Watts should be 20 ohms/7 Watts. Mr Jeff sent to me this correction. He sent to me this: Pin 1 and 8 (cathode) should measure near 1.0VDC. Pin 5 (bias) should measure near -50VDC. The cathode resistors in the photo are not the correct wattage . They should be 20 OHM-7 watt.

Happy listening!