Tube rolling

The PV-1 to now...
blown306cougar
Advanced
Advanced

Tube rolling

Post by blown306cougar »

For anybody who hasn't look at my new members thread I recently bought pv12l.. sounds fantastic but I feel that my curiosity will get the best of me at some point. :mrgreen: I opened the unit up to see what tubes were in it they're not really faded the only writing on it is red it has the part number and just Germany. I spent some time before signing on to this forum trolling other forums see what other people use. and opinions differ of course that's going to be so because everybody has different tastes in sound.I'm not going to go nuts with many different types of fifty-year-old NOS tubes all thow some of them probably do some very nice. Anyway this week I bought a matched pair gold lion tubes from upscale audio. his platinum option. I guess what I'm asking is has anybody ever used gold lions in Conrad Johnson's preamps or in a pv12

Nick
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Tube rolling

Post by joeinid »

As long as they are 12AU7/ECC82 or equivalent, it’ll sound great. I’ve used Gold Lion 6922 in my original GAT series 1 without issue.
blown306cougar
Advanced
Advanced

Post by blown306cougar »

Yeah there 12au7's ;)

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collection ... 1830123077

At some point I might try EH gold 12au7's just to hear how they sound also. I'm probably going to call Conrad Johnson direct see if they'll tell me what they used in the PV12L factory.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

CJ will even sell you tubes. I bought some tubes direct from CJ years ago for my original GAT1. They were Electro-Harmonix 6922. Sounded great and lasted a long time.
mgttr
Pro
Pro

Post by mgttr »

I have used the Gold Lion 12AU7 tube in my CJ Classic Sixty SE amp with good results (also purchased from Upscale Audio). For my CJ PV-12AL I have used Brimar CV4003, graded as "Special CJ test grade" (low microphonics) from Upscale Audio. These have worked well for about two years, but I recently had a problem with another Brimar CV4003 that I was using as the input tube in my Classic Sixty SE amp (see my post in the Ampifier category). I am currently waiting to see if Upscale Audio is going to replace this tube for me.

When I first got the PV-12AL it had Electro Harmonix 12AU7A EH tubes in it. It sounded OK, nothing special though. I think the Brimars offer better sound, but of course they are considerably more expensive.
ARC LS17SE, CJ Classic 60SE, Roon Labs Nucleus, Teddy Pardo PS, Sonore ultraRendu, Bryston BDA-3, OPPO BDP-105, Harbeth C7ES-3, Sound Anchor stands, Shunyata Venom IC, speaker & power cables, Nordost Blue Heaven digital IC, AQ Niagara 1200.
mgttr
Pro
Pro

Post by mgttr »

Just a note that Upscale Audio made good on the 90 day warranty of my bad Brimar CV4003. They sent me a new replacement, and it sounds great. Good service from that company - I've bought all my tubes there and will continue to do so.
ARC LS17SE, CJ Classic 60SE, Roon Labs Nucleus, Teddy Pardo PS, Sonore ultraRendu, Bryston BDA-3, OPPO BDP-105, Harbeth C7ES-3, Sound Anchor stands, Shunyata Venom IC, speaker & power cables, Nordost Blue Heaven digital IC, AQ Niagara 1200.