New to the Board BUT not CJ

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
artemus
Frequent User
Frequent User

New to the Board BUT not CJ

Post by artemus »

Than you for this board. I am an old guy (68) who has had a love affair with music since I was 10 yrs old. I can't remember a time since where a stereo of some sort was NOT in my possession. Late 50's was pretty much any record player. 70"s brought about better equipment. In 1978, I went into a real bonafide stereo store and bought a Harmon Kardon HK 730 receiver, Technics TT and Large original Advent Speakers. I was in heaven. I suspect the HK will still trounce some of our modern equipment. After many years of music and equipment I took the plunge and decided to put on a full out assault on better equipment at a price I could afford.. One of my 1st buys was a CJ 2200 amp. Didn't know much about tubes yet. It was good. Even better when the CJ PFR preamp was added. Then CJ 2500A amp. There was still something missing. I have Silverline speakers (93.5db efficiency) which didn't like that much power. Tube amp fixed that. Even though it is a hot rodded ST-70,(Latino) my love of CJ hasn't subsided. I recently bought a CT5 preamp. WOW!!! Even though I had re-capped the PFR (Great results) the CT5 just is at another level. So the PFR will be for sale soon. It still is a great preamp and punches way above its price. However the CT5 has left me asking, "If the ST-70 w/CT5 sound THIS good, what will a better quality amp sound like with the CT5? So here I am. Being retired and living on a fixed income, my $$ is not that plentiful. But, I've come this far and I suspect a new amp will appear, even though it must meet a limited budget. Anyway, Thanks for your time. I look forward to exchanging ideas and learning.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New to the Board BUT not CJ

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO, it's great to have you with us.

Wow, you really had a long journey and I am glad to hear the CJ was part of that experience (and continues to be). My love of audio also progressed in a similar fashion of always enjoying music, buying bigger brand components, and then transitioning over to true audiophile gear. I think this progression is natural and serves as a good learning experience. It also allows good use of money and getting a feel for what kind of sound one enjoys and looks for in their stereo.

Again, congrats and let us know how things go!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: New to the Board BUT not CJ

Post by joeinid »

Welcome to the forum!