NEW Conrad Johnson ART27A Triode Tube Amp

From tubes to solid state.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: NEW Conrad Johnson ART27A Triode Tube Amp

Post by joeinid »

bear wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 pm Totally understand what you are saying, Joe.

One other point to consider. All of us are "crazy" audiophiles and we're always changing our systems. There is a good chance you won't have the Duos a year or two from now. I know you are happy now but I can't even tell you how many tines I, too, was "happy" and then switched systems. A higher power CJ amp would then drive your new lower efficient speaker. The 27A may not.
Ha! I know we are crazy. I certainly hope and honestly think my Duo are my destination speakers. I’m not jumping on any amps just yet. I’ve got plenty and certainly am curious what kind of feedback the new amp receives.

I’m also curious about how they named it. It’s not even representative of its power output. Hmmmm.

I’d also like to consider, biting my tongue, an efficient enough future speaker to make use of the 27A’s power level should a Duo replacement ever happen :)
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

bear wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:28 pm Not liking the new CJ logo. IMHO it looks terrible. Hopefully this is not what the production amp will look like.
The giant logo doesn’t seem to be going over too well. I’m not crazy about it either but would hope maybe they make blank front plates available.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes! Totally agree with the logo... Terrible is an understatement!

It's like some kid drew when in kindergarten in the sand pit... Oh no😯

Not only does it look cheapish but also not high-End in nature at all, keeping in line with other CJ gear.

In the past, the CJ logo was average to small lettering with subtle touch on what CJ stands for. Giving more prominence to the rest of the component, to enjoy in full view. Just take a look at any of their previous gear and you will see what I mean.

With this bold huge logo in front, if someone asks "so what brand is this amp...? " I'm definitely going to slap them silly!

Well, there's nothing we can do about it, Jeff is the boss now. He probably has his reasons and thinking behind this. We'll have to get used to it.
😢RJ
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

yes that is the transformer mfg. Jeff at CJ says they are the best.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

5DD21141-E677-47C3-B0C5-3AE8B8BBFCEA.png
5DD21141-E677-47C3-B0C5-3AE8B8BBFCEA.png (530.22 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
Attachments
637B0B62-55F1-4BE9-8225-5E56F8DAEE52.png
637B0B62-55F1-4BE9-8225-5E56F8DAEE52.png (570.06 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
bear
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by bear »

What a striking difference when you see the two similar amplifier chassis side by side. There is no need for all the bold capital letters. In fact I seem to remember that Lew and Bill never wanted their logo to have any capital letters. They would always say that having a capital c or j was wrong when their company was mentioned in a review, for example.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

It really does look over done. I hope it’s just a mock up or something.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

bear wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:15 pm What a striking difference when you see the two similar amplifier chassis side by side. There is no need for all the bold capital letters. In fact I seem to remember that Lew and Bill never wanted their logo to have any capital letters. They would always say that having a capital c or j was wrong when their company was mentioned in a review, for example.
Actually, a little smaller and all lower case would look a lot better and certainly more familiar ;)
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

C5EAD7D4-FC9A-429E-A483-C506568EB3F7.jpeg
C5EAD7D4-FC9A-429E-A483-C506568EB3F7.jpeg (947.19 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
bear
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by bear »

I'm also curious as to what the 27A means in the amp's name.
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

bear wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:28 pm Not liking the new CJ logo. IMHO it looks terrible. Hopefully this is not what the production amp will look like.
I agree. Hope the production version will go back to the small children logo. This one is a disaster.
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh dear me... That huge logo! Look at me, look at me...
If it was the original size, anyone can then enjoy viewing the rest of this stunning piece of fine gear!
I guess JF doesn't worry about it.

I also checked on the pricing if it was to ever reach down unda, my CJ importer said very easily a hefty 40 grand!
So now clearly CJ has gone into the arena of the ultra-highend. We are now in par with Kondo Audio Note and Dan D'Augostino momentums. Phew, forget it! I'm out of here.
Anyone over there thinking of one?
Would be nice to learn what your experiences...
Cheers, RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Hi RJ,

I would love to get one, but I don’t think it’ll happen. Even here it’s expensive.

I’ll reserve opinion until I hear one.

It’s probably perfect for my Avantgarde Duo XD but I already have several awesome low power amps - both tube and solid state.
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

I don't know what the internal implementation looks like but I remember Lew saying that 90% of the people that converted their Premier 11,12,8 to triode ended changing them back to Ultra Linear. I see that the output stage power supply is regulated which CJ have never done before on their power amps so the design must be different that the old triode versions of their power amps although the fact that the output tubes are pentodes connected as triode does indicate that it might be fairly similar to the old designs.

I have tried triode amps before and although the midrange was magical the rest of the range was missing a lot. sloppy bass limited highs and no control whatsoever. Maybe with the right speakers things would be better but still very limiting for me.
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Interesting thoughts about the Triode version of previous amps. I almost converted an ARTsa to Triode mode but reconsidered.

I genuinely love the sound of Triode amps because for me, the sweetness and amazing midrange, even if overdone, just gets me.

I have to believe a ground up conscious design by CJ has to be outstanding.

While I think the company, with the departure of Bill and Lew, has sadly lost some of its warm and fuzzyness. I personally think this amp could bring me back into the fold. I hope to hear it at some point.

If anyone here gets a chance to demo it, please let us know what you think.
bear
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by bear »

The new headphone amp is being released next month. I wonder if the big logo is also going to be on that?
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

There’s probably not enough room. :lol:
bear
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by bear »

Joe, you should be a comedian.