MV-55

From tubes to solid state.
Que Jay
Beginner
Beginner

MV-55

Post by Que Jay »

My MV-55 is developing faults more and more, probably because it's pretty old now. I love this amp and how it sounds. And while I have a great repair man on tap, I'm thinking about replacing it. What should I buy and what should I expect from a new replacement amp compared with the MV-55?
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: MV-55

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, greetings from down unda!

MV55, great musical sounding amp. What's wrong with it?

It was replaced in several iterations since...
If memory serves correct :
MV60
LP66
Classic 60
Classic 62
Also available in SE version, at much higher price range.
If the main circuit is still in good shape and requires just a few parts to get going, such as caps, resistors, diodes etc., I would source these original parts and get your techie to fix as much as possible. After all these are CJ amplifiers, that last a lifetime, only the normal ware & tear parts are usually replaced after a few decades...

Going for any of the above are all fantastic amplifiers, they will deliver a more lush mid-range, extended airy highs and good musical bass. Plus most of all, that pure musicality from CJ.

They are almost similar in sound quality overall, with a few added refinements in areas of greater resolution, imaging and soundstage depth. Plus more stable power supplies. The moment you go into the SE versions, they incorporate the KT120 tubes. Now things start to get serious, where the power and finesse comes into play, along with an authority of greater control and grip on the speakers. However in order to take full advantage of these latest power amp offerings from CJ, you must match these with equally top notch preamplifiers in order to get that finer detail of musicality.

All the best and let us know how it goes.
Cheers, RJ
Que Jay
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Que Jay »

Thanks for this. Really helpful. My Pre-Amp is a PV9. Is that 'top notch' enough for the SE versions?

QJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Que Jay,

The SE version offers a more refined overall sound. The stage opens up, and the harmonics are much better with the SE version. The super low noise resistors (Metal Foil) and Teflon Caps are what makes the difference. Some users like the SE version, and others think that are too expensive for the difference. All depend on your ears, your liking, your budget and your speakers.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes the pv9 is fine.

However, once you upgrade your power amp and by any chance happen to try out a slightly newer preamp, you will realize straight away the improvement in sonic performance. Also the pv9 being a much older unit, part of the vintage items list going quite a few decades back, would also require parts upgrades / replacements.

Then again, if you have carefully used and maintained your pv9, that would certainly keep things in perspective to hang on to it for as long as possible. After all, those vintage preamps had a wonderful "golden glow" that defined the musicality of CJ amplification from the rest.

I know of quite a few audiophiles who still use some of their older gear, such as the pv12, ART, and pv1! They are all true classics that defined CJ in highend audio.

By all means enjoy what you've got. If you do have the means down the line for a more refined pre-power combination, any of the listed power amps I mentioned, along with a pv10AL, pv12, pv15, or a Classic preamp would get you one step closer towards a very fine level of resolution, power and musicality.

The choice is yours! Cheers mate and do let us know how it all goes.
RJ
ajf75
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ajf75 »

Hi Que Jay, while I don't disagree with RJ or Roberto's comments, I'll take a slightly different stance.

With smaller scale music (not super demanding of power and dynamics) you'll be hard pressed to find a replacement that is much better in conveying the simple beauty of good music. It may not be perfectly transparent, or 'truthful' with its touch of warm, but these characteristics also allow a wider range of recordings to be enjoyed (within the limitation mentioned).

Based on your opening comment it seems you certainly appreciate its qualities, so I would just maintain its internals precisely with original parts since any deviation will affect its sound and many times for the worse - as i've learned playing around with mine for many years. As RJ mentioned, CJ gear is not throw away stuff, so once you replace the usual suspects you should be good for another 20yrs.

If you are just getting a bit bored and the rest of your system is of high enough resolution, there are some tweaks that the amp will respond to nicely...

best of luck,
AJ
AJ________________
CT5 Pre
ARTsa Amplifier
P11A Amplifier
MV-55 Amplifier
vintage 5.0
Regular
Regular

Post by vintage 5.0 »

I just got a PV 12 and MV 55 with older stock mullard tubes. The sound stage is really nice. I have other tube and solid state amps but this pair together to me is really something special. I like female vocals and stringed instruments. It is a nice sounding combo and I would just get it fixed if you like it.