Two doubts about CJ Act 2 s2

The PV-1 to now...
maxDaxe
Regular
Regular

Two doubts about CJ Act 2 s2

Post by maxDaxe »

Hello everybody. Today I received a Conrad Johnson Act 2 S2 from UK (I live in Barcelona).

I need some advice about the preamp.

1. The manual says:
"The next step is to remove the transit screws. To minimize
microphonics, the critical audio circuits in the ACT2 are on a subchassis
that is mounted to the main chassis with flexible isolation
mounts. To prevent damage during shipping, this assembly is
secured by four screws through the bottom of the chassis. These
transit screws can be readily identified as the four silver screws on
white nylon washers. Before installing your ACT2, remove these
screws to release the suspension. Save the screws to re-use if it
becomes necessary to ship your ACT2."

But I haven't found the screws. Can you show a picture of the transit screws?

2. The preamp is phase inverting. There is some explanation about the phase inverted:

"The ACT2 is phase inverting. If your system has an odd number of
inversions, (for example, if the ACT2 is the only phase inverting
unit in the chain) then you must add one phase inversion. This is
conveniently done by reversing the positive and negative
connections to your speakers (be sure to reverse both channels)."

But what happens if I have two units with phase inverting? I have a CJ 350 SA.

Thanks for the attention and sorry for my english!!!
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Two doubts about CJ Act 2 s2

Post by joeinid »

Both units cancel the phase inversion and nothing different needs to be done. If you have an odd number of inversions then you must reverse the speaker cables at the speakers. The preamp will invert phase then the amp will reinvert phase bringing the signal back in phase.

As for the transit screws, is it possible that the seller never installed them? I hope the unit is working well.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Joe is correct. No need to "correct" the phase with two phase inverting components.

I would check the board and see if there are 4 empty screw sized holes in the board over the board overlaps. If there are, it just means the shipping screws were never put in.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
maxDaxe
Regular
Regular

Post by maxDaxe »

joeinid wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:12 pm Both units cancel the phase inversion and nothing different needs to be done. If you have an odd number of inversions then you must reverse the speaker cables at the speakers. The preamp will invert phase then the amp will reinvert phase bringing the signal back in phase.
Thank you! Problem solved.
joeinid wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:12 pm As for the transit screws, is it possible that the seller never installed them? I hope the unit is working well.
Probably. I asked to the seller. I have not tested the unit yet. I hope too...

Thank you, Joe.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

You are welcome. I’ll say a little prayer that all is well. Good luck.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

It does seem like the transit screws were not installed to begin with.They are usually pretty easy to detect because they are silver and look different from the other screws.
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

I did not see any transit screws in my delivery either. Now, as for the phase inversion, your P350 (which I has as well and is the only CJ amp I have that inverts) cancels out the phase inversion of the GAT2 so as directed before no changes needed but when a change is needed is when you introduce a new non-phase inverting amp into the mix. if the GAT Preamplifier is the only phase inverting unit in the chain) then you must add one
phase inversion. This is conveniently done by reversing the positive and negative connections to your speakers (be sure to
reverse both channels). I usually reverse at the end that is easiest to get to if that is the speaker then at the amp you keep + wire to + terminal and at the speaker the + wire goes to the - terminal and so on for both channels. It has to do with how CJ sets up the circuit and remember their simplification of the circuit, by doing so, they eliminate one less step in the circuit, thus giving you the best sound.
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

I did not see any transit screws in my delivery either. Now, as for the phase inversion, your P350 (which I has as well and is the only CJ amp I have that inverts) cancels out the phase inversion of the GAT2 so as directed before no changes needed but when a change is needed is when you introduce a new non-phase inverting amp into the mix. if the GAT Preamplifier is the only phase inverting unit in the chain) then you must add one
phase inversion. This is conveniently done by reversing the positive and negative connections to your speakers (be sure to
reverse both channels). I usually reverse at the end that is easiest to get to if that is the speaker then at the amp you keep + wire to + terminal and at the speaker the + wire goes to the - terminal and so on for both channels. It has to do with how CJ sets up the circuit and remember their simplification of the circuit, by doing so, they eliminate one less step in the circuit, thus giving you the best sound.
2bdude
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 2bdude »

I owned that preamp and my suggestion is to look inside and make sure that the board is suspended. If the board is not floating the issue needs to be addressed.