Ordered a GAT2 today.

The PV-1 to now...
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Ordered a GAT2 today.

Post by jahatl513 »

I loved the ET7 so much, that I had an opportunity to move up a bit and sold the ET7 to help pay for GAT2. In the past month I traded my Premier 350 for Premier 12's w/ C1 upgrades done in 2016, the mono's funny enough sound exactly like my Classic 120SE (almost) I need to wait till both are burned in well before making a judgement but am pretty happy to have the mono's as well. I sold the MF2500A, a really nice upgraded version done in 2018 as well by CJ. So in triming down I added some things and upgraded. I spoke with Jeff F who called me to congratulate me on the purchase of the GAT2. It was a nice conversation.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ordered a GAT2 today.

Post by admin »

Congrats on the purchase. Let us know how it sounds in your system when you get it set up.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

The GAT2, now that's more like it!
That is absolutely top of the line mate, as it won't get any better than this. Also remember to allow more than plenty of time to burn in and settle in nicely. Straight off the bat, it will sound absolutely superb but give it few weeks to a month, and then you'll realize what the series 2 is capable of.

That combination with your Prem12's should be all you would ever require in SOTA at its best!
Good choice in monoblocks no doubt, also bit easier to maintain down the line with just 4 output tubes per amp rather than having 8 or 16 per amp, nightmare!

Well done mate, and as our good mate Admin has suggested, please do give us a run down on the sonics and overall performance.

Sorry, I forgot what speakers you are using at the moment?
RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Congratulations, you just got one of the best preamps available on the whole world! Period!
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

It has arrived today, but may not be opened till tomorrow; too busy.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey no worries mate, just send the unit over to Melbourne and I'll do the opening ceremony, plus run it in, and maybe even hold on it, whiles you decide which preamp you're after... Sounds like a plan mate!

I think you've got far too many CJ components now, surely you can't be listening to all at the same time.
Hence, the reason why my place is open 24/7 for any CJ equipment for a full burn in, plus I don't even charge, how good is that!

Hey Jahat mate, hurry up and hook it up will ya, we're all waiting to hear it, plus you should be getting a SOTA sound especially when paired with the ART150 that you've ordered. That should be a very special sound indeed.

Hey, I was wondering what speakers you are using? I wasn't sure which brand/type...

Anyway, the date has been set, looks like the MLRen15A owner has finally ordered his ART150 and lands down unda late Sept. Since he's traveling all the time, the invite takes place in Oct. He also stated that if he feels that the ART150 struggles to cope with the Ren15A panels, he is going to settle for the ART300's!

That's great news, I might as well just dump my Honda CRV at the reclying depot, and pick up a Porsche on the way back since Porsche city melb is pass my house...
What expenditure people go through for it to just sound right...
Oh well, I guess when it comes to dedicated audiophiles, if there's a will there's a way.
Cheers mate, looking forward to your review.
RJ
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

I would never be too busy to open a GAT2 :)
Congratulations on having the best of the best.

Preamps are also easier to break in than power amps. Just leave it on with a radio input playing while connected to the power amp. The power amp does not have to be on so no worries on getting anyone nervous or killing th e output tubes.

Enjoy
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

Big Dog RJ, your sarcasm is only outweighed by your wit. I realize it seems like a ton of CJ, but trust me my love of the equipment has allowed me to buy, fix with factory support here in the USA and release it back into the hands of others to love; not a bad thing while sometimes making a buck and sometimes losing a buck. I see how it looks but the really great thing is that it has allowed a good listen at some of their great products while meeting up with some distributors who help me to make it easy to buy the new stuff as in this case. I have not had a bad experience so far with any CJ equipment and the sound as you know has been wonderful. I had a short stint with McIntosh and dumped it for CJ and here I am.

My speakers now are REVEL Performa3 F208's. I'm debating some Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 7; Sophia 2/3's but I use box not panels at this time.

So, it is opened up and it has been listened to. I reserve jubilation but will say, man oh man the detail right out of the box is telling.
Attachments
IMG_8952.jpg
IMG_8952.jpg (520.97 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
IMG_8955.jpg
IMG_8955.jpg (457.02 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
IMG_8959.jpg
IMG_8959.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 1095 times
IMG_8968.PNG
IMG_8968.PNG (5.17 MiB) Viewed 2077 times
IMG_8812.jpg
IMG_8812.jpg (816.15 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great pics, thanks for posting. I would love to get any of those into my system... ah, a man can dream.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Jahat, thanks for your reply.
Oh yeah, the big Mac, those big blue meters are definitely something else, and especially when listening at nights, the whole thing lights up like a city or different planet I must say.

Compared to CJ's, hell no! Mac is no where close. I can clearly see why you would settle for CJ and nothing else, don't we all...
The GATS2, is superb, no doubt, and one that I had the pleasure of running in for a short while (owner away overseas, took very good care of it). Wish the owner stayed overseas!

I'm very eager to learn from your thoughts on the ART150. The GAT I'm quite familiar with, it's the ART150 that is truly special and does require an awful lot of burn in time. What are your findings so far? Compared to the prem12's and prem350, & the classic 120 (gosh I lost count there for a minute...) how does the ART150 come across in terms of overall performance?

By the way, since you prefer Dynamic driver type speakers, just a small suggestion; have you ever thought of Magico's? Or perhaps Genesis Audio?
I have listened to two systems with these speakers and they do come at a hefty price point but the sound presentation driven with CJ amplification was like no other!

Although I'm very very passionate about stats and panel designs in general, if I were able to afford it, the only two brands of dynamic types at the very top bring SOTA, would be either Magico's or the Genesis systems, they are a work of art in every sense!

For what it's worth, before you finalize on Revels or Wilson's, give Magico a listen. Now that you've got the amplification and SOTA I must say, the speakers must also be in that top echelon of design, regardless of price. I really don't know how these two do it and their internal secret structure but those speakers are just extraordinary! I guess the price justifies the design.

Cheers mate, and let us know how it all goes.
RJ
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

Big Dog RJ - The ART was ordered last Friday. Jeff F is putting the same build number on the ART as I have on the GAT2. The ART won't be here till end of July in time for my birthday. I'll keep you up to date. Hard thing is that I sat down today while GAT was on and It is so impressive that I have to be cautious. Just a quick note on Premier 350. That 350 was one of those amps you turn on and it just immediately grabs your attention, no question. For me, after a while it may have been too bright or too fatiguing and I'd want the tubes back. Letting it go was hard because you could let it sit out for a while and then BAM! turn it on and feel that elation again. Some day I feel I'll end up coming across one. More later when the ART comes to me I'll post on it. Till then the GAT2 is making the Premier 12's dance like I've never heard and their Teflon is only 200 hours into burn at most.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Not to worry mate, give it plenty of time. Teflon's are a pain in the butt with a capital B, as you are well aware of... I've had my days with those, and now since I hardly have any time for a decent listening session, I would just doze off half the time not even knowing that the music stopped!

The GAT2 with your Prem 12's must be a very special sound indeed. However, I'm just wondering if and when your ART150 arrives, after a while being used to monoblocks, you may actually prefer the 300's! Go for it mate, if you can afford it, life is far too short, after all what the heck, it's just hi-fi, not diamond selling deals underhand or anything...

Just make sure you're not stepping on anyone's feelings or other sincere thoughts where family or loved ones come first. I made one of the biggest mistakes in my life (no it was not the Quad ESL2905 purchase...) rather I used up all of our gifted funds to purchase top line Maggie's when we got married. Oh boy, she never forgave me for that, but now I'm a completely changed man for the better. And having migrated to Aus helped me tremendously to understand what family values are. Hence, now the hi-fi comes last...

I'm also surprised she's still with me, must be my good looks... Ha! Although not so firm when the towel is off but the biceps are still tight 💪!
Cheers matie, I can clearly see your next post will be the ART300's.
A big woof, RJ
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

Congratulations on your new purchase!
My own GAT2 has become part of the family along now with the ARTs. Another benefit for me at least with the CJ gear is that it's ended my continual gear-hoping. Other than a few system tweaks here and there now and then, I simply enjoy the music more than I ever have. Oh wait, wasn't that the idea all along? :)
ENJOY!
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Very nice one indeed Ray, that's another superb outstanding combination, SOTA pre-power plus the MG20.7's!

The last time I heard the MG20.7's was with ARC Ref 250's, which was pretty good. Then few years later, heard them driven with the ART monoblocks (the earlier series) wow! What a huge difference! Not only in overall sound but the depth in soundstage, speed, linearity in bass, tonal balance and just that wonderful mid-range, those CJ monoblocks really drive those ribbons to the fullest! You really can't ask for more...

If I recall, didn't you have the previous ART series monoblocks? How do these new 300's compare to the previous series monoblocks? Is the margin of performance greater than 30-40%... What are your thoughts?
RJ
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

The ART 300s definitely surpass the ART Monos, Improved Bass depth and tightness was immediately noticeable. In addition, there is an increased focus. Instrument/artist location within the sound stage is considerably more precise. I was recently asked if the increased focus somehow detracted from the smooth CJ sound. Answer is: Not in the least.

So, I was prepared to live with the ART Monos forever more... and it was a bit of taking a chance on the 300s... They meet or exceed the Monos in every respect. Having said that, 30-40% better? I realize it's a relative scale when stating perceived improvements in audio gear. I'd probably not go as far as 30-40% better. I can't see me ever parting with this GAT/ART combo.
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Ray !!!! Congratulations on the GAT2 upgrade and the ART 300s (of course). I am so happy for you. I do miss my CJ gear. Hmmmm.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Congratulations jahatl513!

Can't wait for more updates on your system.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Hello jahat,

How are you enjoying your GAT2 after having it for a while now?
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

The GAT2 is an outstanding pre. I don't think that I've had better. It is simply detailed, quiet, musical.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Glad to hear you are enjoying the GAT2 preamp.