Diagnosing/repairing hiss on PV-1 phono stage?

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
GordonW
Beginner
Beginner

Diagnosing/repairing hiss on PV-1 phono stage?

Post by GordonW »

Hi- I have a PV-1, in very good shape here- except that the phono stage seems inordinately noisy. By that, it has a lot of background hiss, that seems to be independent of what tubes are in it (it came to me with Sylvania 7025s in it- but I have also tried Telefunken 12AX7s in all three positions (which were pretty quiet when tried in a Dynaco PAS3 phono stage)- with no change in the hiss.

There's also a tiny bit of hum- but that's pretty minor, compared to the hiss. No appreciable hum or hiss exists in the line stage.

I suspect it may have something to do with the power supply, since it's about the same in both channels. Is there something about the regulation or the caps in the power supply, that can cause this? And, if so, has anyone had luck with rectifying the situation? My first inclination is to try re-capping the HV part of the power supply (C2 and C4A/C4B/C4C on the original schematic diagram).

Or, are there other "common" issues (resistors?) that can cause this, in this model?

Thanks!

Regards,
Gordon.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Diagnosing/repairing hiss on PV-1 phono stage?

Post by admin »

Hi Gordon,

Welcome to the site. As for the problem. I, unfortunately, don't own the PV1 so can't speak from experience. The first thing I would do is make sure the hum is not a ground loop issue. That will cause a hum and will be independent of the tubes. We have the PV1 schematics in our database so you may want to pull that and see if any overt issue is identified.

Let us know what happens, best wishes.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
GordonW
Beginner
Beginner

Post by GordonW »

It's much more hiss, than hum. And, the noise is present even when shorting plugs are in the phono input. The preamp and amp both only have two-wire power cables- so it's not likely a ground loop...

Regards,
Gordon.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Gordon, if I were you, I will change again the tubes. Bad tubes make hiss, and no other component does that. Why don't you ask this question to Mr. Jeff Fischel. He is now in charge of the Conrad Johnson Company, and he is very handy. He likes to help!

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

I don't have the schematic for the pv1 but given its age i am assuming there are electrolytic salads in the power supply. These all need to be replaced. Leaky caps can cause noise. Also look for resistors that changed color or measure wrong. Focus on the phone section of the circuit.
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura