new ET-7, the replacement for the ET-5

The PV-1 to now...
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

new ET-7, the replacement for the ET-5

Post by roberto »

[*]Dear friends,
I just ordered one of the new preamplifier model ET-7. Spoke with the designer Mr. Jeff Fischel at Conrad Johnson, and he said:

We are proud to announce the new ET-7. It's design is based as the Gat 2, but at affordable price. Has the same principle with the regulated power supply, and using a single triode amplifier. It uses the same vishay resistors and teflon capacitors.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=748
Attachments
enews1707 (1).pdf
(48.32 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Last edited by roberto on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: new ET-7, the replacement for the ET-5

Post by admin »

Very cool. Would love to hear your thoughts when you get it. Interesting I don't see any information about the unit on their website.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Jeff told me that they are working on it, and the page will be up-dated soon. Could you see the attachment that I downloaded?
Regards,
Roberto.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yup. Just looked at the attachment. I really like the faceplate design. Looks really interesting and I look forward to hearing the reviews.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

This is what I got from Jeff...and I know that very soon, I am going have a lot of fun while listening the new ET-7...

Roberto,

Absolutely yes!! Lew Johnson will be releasing an official newsletter to dealers and distributors tomorrow , announcing the new ET7. A formal photoshoot is underway this week and ET7’s are in full production. Your ET7 is currently playing music in the soundroom , anticipated shipping is August 1st.

Thanks,

Jeff Fischel
General Manager/Senior Technician
conrad-johnson design inc.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola amigos! I just got the ET-7 preamp and the first thing that I had noticed is that it weights a lot. Also, it is big! I am going to hook it to my system and I will tell you my first findings.

Happy listening!
Roberto.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

First Impressions: Clean, transparent, need time to break in, but I did know this before. Has very high extension on both sides, highs and lows, there is no dirt at all. Voices are projected very good, and has the tonal balance characteristic of C-J. There are a lot of air in the wind instruments. The violin is with the right size, and it does gives love. Cymbals are crystal clear. It is bringing more resolution than my Sonic Frontiers line 3. Its easy to choose any instrument at the recording and listen what the musician is playing along.
The fingering at the guitar is very, very good and easy to understand. Lee Ritenour is playing beautifully.
With the percussion, has a lot of dynamics. The speed of the sticks on the drums are real...actually, you can hear how fast they are moving and hitting the drums. Very impressive here.
The sax has an incredible warmth...it is a truly sax player what I am having here.
The hammond Organ B-3 you can hear the key contacts just before the musical note arrives...very interesting.
Easy to tell when there is a double bass player or when the organ bass notes are.
A very nice balance with the level of the instruments and voices...but what it amused me is TRANSPARENCY!'

In the next 15 days or so, I will keep you posted about its overall sound.
Happy listening!
plurn
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by plurn »

Congratulations Roberto and thanks for your impressions.

Can you tell us what tube or tubes it uses? single electro harmonix 6922? or Philips PCC88 maybe? If you are inclined to open up the case, any chance of some pictures of the insides?

Anthony
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola. I promise to you that the 21or 22 I will post the inside pics. Right now I am in a work business travel.

Yes, it's a 6922. Also, it's beautifully crafted inside. I will poste a pic inside Anthony.

Happy listening!
Attachments
ET-7 and Classic One Twenty SE
ET-7 and Classic One Twenty SE
IMG_7387.JPG (434.5 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
IMG_7389.JPG
IMG_7389.JPG (111.57 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
plurn
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by plurn »

Thank you Roberto.

Anthony
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. Looks beautiful. Can't wait to hear about the sound.
-admin
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Post by Bill Stevenson »

How much gain does the ET-7 have? The spec for the ET-5 is 25 db, which probably accounts for the relatively shortened tube life before noise. I love my ET-5, btw. Just wish it were not so hard on the tube. At least it is only one tube. If the ET-7 gain spec is lower, say 20 db or so, we can speculate that tube life will be better.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Bill...I do believe that the ET-7 is a simpler design than the ET-5. The look inside is clean. I did open it to put the rubber o-rings to the tube.
The sound right now is a little bright, because it needs a lot of break in time...I do know that you do know this, right?

The look inside looks an expensive crafted, with super good quality parts.

Happy listening!
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Post by Bill Stevenson »

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for your response. I do not want to get into debate, but will just simply state that I believe break in is a big myth as it affects the sound quality of high quality equipment. If you want to believe that you can hear a sound improvement after several hundred hours that is your prerogative. Would you look in your owner's manual and provide the specification for gain? Thanks in advance.

Bill
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Bill, I assure you that you can hear a difference...The lower mid-range section of the music is too weak, and the upper bass...this happened too with my previous ET-5. I am not talking 800 hours, I do not believe it too. But this is true for the teflon capacitors. The gain is lower than the ET-5. The unit came without the instructions manual, I will get it soon.
But, I do believe that specs are about the same as the ET-5. It uses only one tube, and has teflon and metal foil resistors. What I think it's different, is at the regulated power supply. The power supply is a newer design, following the same approach that the Gats2 has.
Out of the box, you have a brush-stroke of what it is capable off, it is crystal clear, with the right timbre of the instruments and voices...I really do like a lot what I am hearing, but it needs a little more time...just to settle the electronics...not a big deal, but an improved difference to my ears.
Happy listening
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Here is the inside pic of the ET-7.
Attachments
IMG_7411.JPG
IMG_7411.JPG (2.63 MiB) Viewed 1474 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A very clean design. Looks really nice. Congrats.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Dear friends,
Please excuse my limited English. My main language is Spanish, and sometimes I forgot about the present and the past in some sentences. Thanks a lot for your understanding.

Now let's get back to this improved sound in my system. You all know that our immediate memory only last about 10 seconds and in well trained ears, will last only about 15 seconds. So, we have to use our long-term memory for knowing if our sound is better with the change or not. I have to tell you that my system has never sound as it is right now. It does not fix the bad recordings. The recordings on these days are very good, and also 20 years ago, you can find good ones. The system is showing me: The right timbre, with an outstanding sense of 3D. The glare of the voices had gone, and also I am getting more air between the instruments and voices. Also, the dynamics. This new preamp has an incredible control over the amount of energy on every musical note. I use a lot the piano because it is one the most common on great recordings. Listening to the piano on classical music, or at jazz, really makes me feel that I am with the right direction. Understanding both hands, and getting the heart of the musician(s) is what I do like most. Perhaps my system is not the best on the marketplace, but I assure you it is one of the best! I usually go to the audio shows, and I can hear a lot of different brands of speakers, and electronics. This Martin Logan CLXs with this gear really sings along with the music. Jazz, pop, rock, and classical is a pleasure to listen to...
The warmth of the piano musical notes, and also the silky strings...listening to a Misha Maisky playing the cello, or Salvatore Accardo playing his violin, is pure pleasure. It is so good for use to have many recordings with fantastic musicians. And the quality of the recordings are every day have an improvement...

The detail, the breathing at the wind instruments...with the strings, you can imagine easily the movement of the bow. The little nuances in the music are more palpable. What the director is doing with the work, is more revealing. You can choose any instrument on a symphony, and you can follow it like magic. All I can say: This sounds right!
Happy listening!
Last edited by roberto on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one Roberto, and hola at Costa Rica!

Now I am sure many fellow audiophiles will arrive at your house and have a party... hopefully things get out of hand, and you need a place for the CLX's in a careful caring environment, and a place for them long term- and yes mate, you guessed it! that place is mine-hola!

As I have told me many times before, no doubt the new ET7 is great, and so is the ET5, GAT & GATS2, infact all of CJ's preamps are very musical sounding and have a very high sense of musicality like no other. This is why we CJ owners just love our gear.
The main point I'm trying to make and always let you know, since you keep forgetting- you own the CLX's mate! These are the most transparent speakers that I have come across and when partnered with top line gear such as CJ and similar top line, you will only get true quality and very high quality sound. Not just sound but also music where it will engage you in a trans and allow you to focus on the performance straight away without any distractions whatsoever.

You also mentioned Sonic Frontiers, which I have used a preamp of SF long time ago, just before I owned the PFR. Believe me, CJ is far ahead of Sonic Frontiers. There really is no comparison, and you will find the ET7 to be a very worthy contender...

Well done Roberto, and remember just in case you find yourself bored with the CLX (you probably never will) just let me know ok?
Take is easy mate and have a wonderful time with the music!
Cheers maties, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hi there Bro!...I do really know how you love the CLX. Yes, they are magnificent speakers. Paired now with Conrad Johnson, the overall sound is so great, that I am discovering a lot of great recordings that I forgot that I had on hand around. The new ET-7 is doing a marvellous job in my system.

If you are thinking to get one, go for it. You can't go wrong on this one for sure. The detail is immense, the air between the instruments, the space that is between them, the true sense of 3D, the size of the musical instruments, the nuances of the music, the dynamic contrast with the percussion instruments, all these sound right!

Happy listening!