C9 Total Extermination
Resurrection
D1 I Am Dune
D2 Hollywood
D3 Fingerprints
D4 Open the Mind
D5 Try

Review:

I'm not sure that this album is going to appeal to everybody but I really enjoyed it immensely. I have to preface this review with the fact that it probably could have been the worst music ever and I still would be giving it a minimum of 3 out of 5 stars. Why you may ask? Well, I'm a huge Frank Herbert's Dune fan. And I love ambient music. Ok, so with that out of the way, we can go on to the review.

First, the presentation is excellent. It is a nice gate-fold double LP that comes with a small 4 page foldout insert. There is a limited run production of these LP out there that were limited to 1000 copies and have multicolored vinyl. I would have loved to nab one of those but this is the standard black vinyl version. The matte cover paper is of good quality and the inside graphics are appealing.

The music is an interesting mix of ambient with some dialog from the documentary in a few tracks. If you are a fan of the documentary this will certainly be appealing. The artist uses a lot of synthesizers which give it that 70's vibe which is very cool. After all, the story takes place in the 70's so it is very appropriate. The linear notes contain a list of the synthesizers that were used in the production of the album. An interesting short read for those who are fans of that genre of music.

The quality of the sound is 4/5 stars. Clarity and dynamics are very good. I don't think this would be a demo album to show off the specs of your setup, but most ambient music is not the best suited for that purpose to begin with. I really enjoyed the "psychedelic vibe" and throwbacks to the time period.

I think the LP is a great collectors piece. There were no "bad tracks" and listening through the 4 sides went by all too quick. If you have any interest in Dune, definitely check out the documentary and then grab this record if you found the soundtrack interesting.

To purchase the record from "Light in the Attic": http://lightintheattic.net/releases/200 ... soundtrack

Jodorowsky's Dune documentary Wikipedia page
Attachments
Jodorowsky dune LP1.jpg
Jodorowsky dune LP1.jpg (91.11 KiB) Viewed 4454 times
Jodorowsky dune LP2.jpg
Jodorowsky dune LP2.jpg (52.37 KiB) Viewed 4454 times
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Jodorowsky's Dune Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Post by joeinid »

Gabor,

Awesome review. Thank you for taking the time to write and post it.