ET3 SE Tube Life

The PV-1 to now...
Rusty588
Beginner
Beginner

ET3 SE Tube Life

Post by Rusty588 »

Hi,

I bought my ET3 SE about 12 months ago, sounds great in my system especially after it had broken in. I have one issue though, I have been thru many tubes due to failures. These tubes were some NOS (Telefunken, Siemens) and some New Tubes such as Genalex Gold Lion, all bought from reputable tube stores. Most tubes got noisy after 2-3 months and lost detail etc. typical failed tube symptoms.

Thinking that gain being part of the problem, I called CJ and talked to gentleman and he recommended Russian 6H23N-EB being durable and would solve the problem. I bought a couple but not very impressed with the sound after what I have used earlier.

I am prepared to replace tubes once in a while but 2-3 months is kind of short, after all just after breaking in the tube fails. Is anyone experiencing this issue? Can something be done?

Cheers

Rusty
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: ET3 SE Tube Life

Post by joeinid »

Hi Rusty,

I've had my current GAT about one year and 3 months. My first GAT I had about a year. I missed it so much that I had to replace it. Never had a problem with tubes in the first GAT in the time that I had it. My current GAT, the stock tubes failed after about 2 months. I replaced them with Gold Lions and not a problem since. I am still on the replacement set and my gear is on 12-15 hours a day. My friend who bought my first GAT went through a set or two of CJ replacement tubes and after that switched to Gold Lions also. Not a problem since with him too. I have not experimented too much but am happy with my Gold Lions.
Rusty588
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rusty588 »

Thanks Joeinid,

I had 4 Gold Lions failed on me in a span of 6 months. I believe there is too much gain and the tubes can handle it. I am glad you mention Gold Lions, until I find a solution I will try Gold Lions as they sound pretty good and they are affordable.

Thanks again

Cheers

Rusty
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Good luck and please let us know. It seems to be the nature of the beast and some preamps seem slightly more prone to tube failure. For me, it's a worthy trade-off.
Rusty588
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rusty588 »

Last one of 3 Siemens 6922 E88CC RCA tube has failed in less than 300 hours (started hiss in the mids on both channels). I haven't seen anyone complaining therefore I am suspecting there maybe something wrong with my unit and perhaps the best is to send it to CJ to check it out.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day to all;

That's the problem with tube amps and especially tube preamps. Some are fine and seem to go on forever... others fail in a matter of few months! The ET3SE I had for a brief period, until my ACT2 was being treated, didn't have any problems whatsoever. C-J's standard 6922 tube used, whatever it was, sounded wonderful! My dealer mate had the ET3SE for well over a year with no problems either, partnered with the LP125's and QuadII80's (monoblocks) in the demo room driving Quad ESL's newest versions; awesome sound! Similarly my ACT2 didn't have any issues either for well over 3 years until just recently, which was a fuse problem and nothing to do with tubes.
Even my PV12 over a decade & half ago never had any issues. I can say that the tube gear from c-j has served me well with top notch reliability.

However, on the flip side, their SS gear has given me numerous problems. From the PFR, MF2100 to the DV2B cd unit have all failed with one way or the other; from caps to transport mechanisms to various other component failures. Nearly all caps were replaced plus the entire optical block on the DV2B. These were later sold off after losing too much on repair expenses. ventured off C-J altogether for a while but had to get back to it at some point because nothing compares to it musically for that price!
After nearly a decade back with c-j once again and loving every minute of it! Now if a problem occurs, big deal! I just get it fixed with the right people who have the right knowledge because fixing and owning c-j gear in your system is worth it!
Enjoy your music!
Cheers, RJ
cyberspacer
New User
New User

Post by cyberspacer »

I got a used ET3 from Agon about a year ago. I called CJ shortly after that to complain about how the quality of sound had deteriorated and they shipped me a replacement EH6922 for free! I am so impressed with their level of customer service. However, about 6-9 months on, I am noticing a hissing from the left channel - I believe the tube is on its way out even though the beautiful sound I have become used to is still there...

Thinking about getting a Genalex Gold Lion...

PS: Dali Helicon 400 Mk II speakers, Vincent power amp, Musical Fidelity V-90DAC; Squeezebox Touch
Dali Helicon 400 Mk II
Vincent SP331 Power Amp
MF V90-DAC
Squeezebox Touch
audiojem
Advanced
Advanced

Post by audiojem »

I had a ET3 SE that had bad tubes, both times CJ replaced them and still became noisy after a couple months, I replaced with Russian tube and had no issue's dead quite!
I think the tubes CJ supplies with their pre-amps are junk, not trying to offend but for what they charge they need to step it up.
Regards
AJ
andonis
Regular
Regular

Post by andonis »

has anyone try EAT-6922
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

Yes I tried the EAT ECC88 (aka 6922). I was not impressed. I take pride in the fact I have decent hearing. But this tube had a sonic ringing tone to it that would not go away. Like a micro-phonic sound that I could hear. Plus it made the music bright and unpleasant overall. The ET3-SE was made with the EH 6922 in mind & in the end that's what I went back to. My tube life has been about 1000 hrs. But now that I have a better transformer to stabilize the power I hope to extend that. EH tubes are affordable so I keep a couple standing by. I buy the gold pin versions from Music Direct and they have always been prompt in service. I have only a few hours on my EAT tube so if you want to make a deal.... Pat
andonis
Regular
Regular

Post by andonis »

I all ready have a EAT tube (diamond) I'm put it on my ET-5 when break-in. Until now have 260 hours...
diwakarv
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by diwakarv »

I have been using Amperex USN-CEP 6922 in ET3SE for about a year, no issues.
darksniper
New User
New User

Post by darksniper »

I'm using ET3 and the EH6922 is hissing.
So I get a siemens CCA to replace and it is dead quite now.
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

CJ for some reason chose to run the filament voltage on the ET3 and ET5 a bit high. 6.5v vs. the spec'd 6.3v. This causes some tube to hiss after a while. You can use the 7v version of the 6922/6DJ8 which is the PCC88/7DJ8 and you will not have an issue. As a bonus these tubes are typically much cheaper than their 6.3v counterparts.
I have used Phillips PCC88 with great success. I believe this is what CJ use today in the GAT2 Series 2.
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura