Greetings from Melbourne

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Greetings from Melbourne

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mates, and greetings from Melbourne, the most liveable city in the world!

I had come across this site before but was unable to start posting or registering for that matter, mainly because the wifey gets a bit cranky whenever I divert too much attention to the audio system.
She loves the music though...

Just a quick description of what I have:
Preamp: ACT2
Power amp: MV60SE (with KT120 tubes)
Digital Source: McIntosh MCD301 SACD player
Loudspeakers: Quad Reference ESL 2905
Interconnects: All Nordost Heimdall
Speaker cable: DH Labs Q-10 Signature
Power cords: All Nordost Heimdall
AC Line Power Conditioner THOR PS-10
Magnetic Field Stabilizer Nordost QX4
Audio racks: Apollo Designs and Nordost Sort Kones

I had taken some photos through my phone cam, which were very low quality when I loaded onto the PC. I will need to take new photos of the system later, when I can get hold of my daughter's digital cam. Until such time enjoy that "absolute sound"!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Greetings from Melbourne

Post by Big Dog RJ »

OK, I tried to post some photos of the system but it says that my file size is too big; only 1MB allowed. Each file size is around 1.55MB and I have 11 photos of the system.
I'm not fussed, happy to answer any questions if any, and open to new suggestions as well.

My journey with c-j started out way back in the early 90's. I heard this awesome system with Quad ESL 63's and amplification was all c-j (prem11A & pv12). At that time I had Infinity Renaissance 90's with Manley 350 monoblocks. From there I went onto Magneplanars several iterations, MGIIIa, MG3.5 and MG20. I also went through various amplification systems, cannot even remember half of them. From Manley, Sonic Frontiers, Parasound, Bryston to even Lamm. Speakers ranged from Martin logan, Infinity, Rogers, Mission, Paradigm, Magneplanars, to Sonus Fabers... I even had the mighty Wilson's at one point.

All is all, I remember that awesome soundstage of the Quads with the c-j amps, and this is what I am using now having come back full circle. And definitely loving it!
Cheers and enjoy your music,
RJ
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Very nice system, indeed, RJ. You've certainly been on quite the audio journey. :)

I've had the predecessor to the 2905 model, the 989, for over 10 years now and agree that Quad + c-j is really an excellent pairing. I originally went the tube route (PV-10A, Premier 17 and 16LS2, Premier 11A and 140) but have tried simplifying my life with the CA200 integrated. While I do miss the sound of tubes at times, their elimination has allowed me to concentrate on other areas in my system now that I'm no longer spending so much trying every tube variation I could find. Admittedly, if I'd been able to stick with what already sounded good, I'd have been in a different situation buy it never quite worked out that way.

Welcome aboard!
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Joe,

It is certainly fantastic to hear others points of view, specially when they have Quads with c-j!
I certainly do remember the CA200, and it is an excellent amplifier, plenty of power and drive, and that glorious c-j signature sound. c-j has always maintained that signature sound, although many critics call it "caramel syrup", whatever... it is great like no other.

Every design will have pluses and drawbacks, at the end of the day the sound you're after should obviously suit only your ears. I've had so many crazy rides in this high-end buzz that I forgot the most important thing; firstly family of course! and then the music. After all that's what it's all about.
I've tried to match concert levels in the house by going for weird looking horns like Avantgarde, then went into Wilson's... got my fingers burnt there big time! Whatever system I have had in the past with whatever gear, there was one major thing lacking, that Conrad Johnson special soundstage. Always somehow ended back with electrostats and c-j.

The 989's are superb electrosats; in fact this was going to be my final purchase in stats! Since I was still between jobs at the time and dilly dallying, I missed out.
Only after a period of two years I was able to get hold of a new pair of 2905's.

Speaking of tube rolling, I strongly believe the tubes that c-j has already placed in their systems are good enough! Of course if you have the means to try various tubes, that's fine. But at the end of the day if there is no sonic improvement, other than psychological, it's no point...
The only tubes I have replaced so far on my amps have been the 6550c, which I replaced with KT120's. I only did this after being able to audition extensively from well known dealer demo's. Otherwise I think this experiment of tube rolling would have been silly.

I am just about to head of to work now, happy to chat anytime. You have a good one!
This weekend I reckon it's going to be another long late listening session with some scotch and of course that cigar!
Take it easy mate, cheers
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site, it's great to have you.

Looks like you have an amazing system. I'm a big planar fan myself, I currently have a pair of Magnepan 20.1's with a custom base and some modifications. I had some Martin Logan's prior. I would love to see the pictures of your system. You mentioned that you had trouble posting the pictures. The attachment limit is to keep files at a reasonable size as some of our users are on slower connections (or mobile) and downloading 30 mb for one page can take a long time for them. If you want to email them to me I can resize them and send them back to you if you would like.

Once again, welcome to the site!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate.
Thanks for your welcome. It is certainly wonderful to join a forum/site especially dedicated to c-j!
My first true high-end system was in fact c-j with maggies starting from the mgIIIa and upto the mg3.5/r, and nearly kept the mg20, until my venture back into Quads. I absolutely love them now with the configuration I currently have, and to me this is the "absolute sound."

Yes, I can certainly email you the pics. Let me know your email address.
Ok then, until such time you all have a good one.
Cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cool.

You can just send them to my site address:

admin@conradjohnsonowners.com

Also, you can resize them as well through this easy to use website: http://www.picresize.com/

I would recommend a picture width of not more than 1200 pixels so laptop users can see the entire image. But you can just send them to me if you would like and I can take care of it as well.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Thanks for the assistance with resizing the photos. I have pasted them on the member's systems tab. Hope they are fairly clear...
Once I get the bigger room going along with proper acoustic treatment, I will post these up when ready.
Till then enjoy the music and that great c-j gear!
Cheers, RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Welcome to the forum RJ!

Joe