ET3 SE and Classic Sixty SE

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
RDSChicago
Regular
Regular

ET3 SE and Classic Sixty SE

Post by RDSChicago »

Just bought this pair and am so far enjoying them. Any speaker recommendations? I am looking for a nice high sensitivity speaker. Thanks!!
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: ET3 SE and Classic Sixty SE

Post by joeinid »

Congratulations on your great gear!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congrats on the purchase! Unfortunately I am a planar fan, so no high sensitivity speakers for me... :( What is the price range you are looking for as that will heavily influence recommendations? Are you willing to go used, or new only?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
RDSChicago
Regular
Regular

Post by RDSChicago »

I have several pairs of speakers already, such as Focal 807w's, Kef LS50's, Linkwitz Orion's and Kef 105/2's.

I am driving all but the Focal's with solid state amplification. I thought it would be interesting to try some speakers that traditionnally sound great with tubes. Although I have heard that the CJ equipment I purchased does not elicit the traditional warm sounds associated with tubes? Or perhaps the Classic Sixty SE is surriciently powerful to at least drive all the speakers I have (with the exception of the Orion's which have an external crossover and require 8 channels of amplification). Any thoughts would be appreciated.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have found that even moderately powered amps are usually powerful enough to drive most speakers. Some speakers definitely benefit from extra power, but these are usually the VERY inefficient ones (such as my Magnepan 20.1, rated at 85 db which is a pretty generous rating in my opinion). I would say 95% of speakers out on a market can be driven just fine with a 30 watt tube amp. Volume is also a factor, so if you play at moderate volumes it should be much less of an issue than if you want to go earth shattering loud. If you don't have enough power you will get some clipping so you would know right away if you have an issue. For example, the Focal 807w is rated at 92 db (I think), a sensitive speaker so you should have absolutely no problem with even a low power tube amp. The KEF LS50 is low at 85 db.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.