Conrad Johnson Prem 12 with Focal Sopra 2

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Conrad Johnson Prem 12 with Focal Sopra 2

Post by goonybird »

Posted elsewhre at looking to change current Kef Reference 203
to maybe used Kef Reference R3 but also looksing at used Focal Sopra 2
Will the low 3.1 Ohm resistance be ok with Premiere 12 on 4 ohm setting?
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conrad Johnson Prem 12 with Focal Sopra 2

Post by admin »

It will be fine. CJ amps are great at dealing with dips in resistance. Awesome speaker by the way. I was under the impression that the Focal Supra 2 is rated at 8 ohms?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

First, I agree with admin that the 4 Ohm taps will be fine. The 8 Ohm amp configuration is fine too, and you may prefer one to the other. Try both if you like.

The published impedance is always reflective of the manufacturer’s sense of the load over the full range of frequencies likely to be present when playing music. Dips and climbs are factored in, but since impedance is comprised of the magnitudes of both reactance and resistance, what to rate it is always a best estimate rather than an absolute.

JF has told me that since most speakers do have a low dip, he ships everything wired for four Ohms.

SOPRA 2 specs:
https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.f ... _n2_en.pdf

8 Ohm nominal. 3.1 Ohm minimum.

Jeff would say 4 Ohm is the best starting point.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Prem12's with Focal Sopra, no issues at all.

In fact there's a close mate here who has the Sopra's with the added super tweeters mounted on top. Driven by SS amplifiers, I think they were Simaudio Moon, sounded tops!
After a few visits here, he was highly taken up by CJ, so he tried out a Classic 62se on its own. Drove the Sopra's to another level that he hadn't expected, and now uses a Classic 120se. He's seriously considering the ART150, since there's only one unit remaining at our showroom. Might as well.

There are quite a number of fellow audiophiles here who actually don't like Focals. They prefer B&W speakers if they were considering that type of speaker / sound. However, I believe it all depends on what gear you drive the Focals with. After listening to that Classic 62se and later on the Classic 120se, those Focals are outstanding! Very open, dynamic, excellent coherence, very good soundstage depth and plenty of musicality. It was also an effortless drive, nothing was forced, and even without the super tweeters, it sounded tops. Of course with the super tweeters on, that presented a further dimension into imaging.

So now those very same chaps who didn't care for the Focal sound, I told them to go and listen to this chaps particular Focals with CJ amps. Then they go Ah!!! And start cussing and cursing as to why they just spent over 100grand on B&W's where they could have got the Sopra's for less than half that! But then again, not all of them own CJ over here, only a handful of us are privileged to own CJ. It's our pride & joy!

Note: forgot to mention; as AJ very correctly pointed out, CJ tube gear is factory set at 4 Ohms. Unless the owner / user wishes to request for a different Ohm setting, CJ HQ will do so. It's this 4 Ohm load setting that also enables CJ gear to drive difficult loads with ease, apart from the well designed power supplies associated with such gear. Of course, CJ's power supplies are rock solid, they don't flinch one bit!
And we all should know that by now...

Cheers to CJ & Focal
WOOF! RJ