Premier 12 Cover Modification

From tubes to solid state.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Premier 12 Cover Modification

Post by admin »

I have some tinnitus so I am super sensitive to high volume levels. I've found that the better the quality of a stereo system, the lower the volume I prefer. I can pick out the details better at modest to lower volumes. I'm very conscious about not exposing my ears to loud noises that may cause hearing loss in the future.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh, i didn't know that Admin.

Glad you brought it up because one thing for sure is, you really don't need to blast the roof off in order to enjoy those fine tunes. I simply cannot understand why some people listen to music so loud! They claim that they must experience the lifelike presence and full dynamics... therefore must listen loud. Whatever.

This is recorded music that is played back on domestic hi fi gear. This is not a live gig or a rock concert where everything is too loud and after a while, you end up with a headache anyway!

Recorded music played back must be enjoyable and most of relaxing. If it doesn't have that sense of musicality even at the lowest levels then what's the point of recorded playback? Might as well attend a live concert and call it a day.

Just as you mentioned, music to me is also most enjoyable from soft to moderate levels, never loud. After a certain threshold it gets too shouty as opposed to musically refined. Once that fine level is achieved, listening sessions can go on for endless hours. Just a beautiful thing!

Woof! RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

jumping in on this old thread. I spoke to Jeff, and he advised against using the KT120 in my P12. Almost as if it was going to blow up lol. I am currently using reissue TS 6550 that sound pretty good but I have nothing to compare it to so I am considering KT88 or KT90 to try out
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I never owned the Premier 12 instead had the Premier 11A which is usually described as the stereo version of a single Premier 12. The other CJ amp I owned was the Premier 140 which is decidedly different. My comments are based on both since the different tube types left a similar impression for both amps.

The KT90 (both the Ei which really can't be found any more) and the Electro-Harmonix yielded the most "solid-state" sound of any power tubes, regardless of type, that I ever used. Depending on what your personal preferences are that could be a plus or a minus. For tonal accuracy they were excellent (the EH less so on the bottom end) but ultimately I found them a little uninvolving.

For current production KT88 the Genalex Gold Lion Reissue were my hands-down favorites. I realize both the KT88EH and the Gold Lion KT88 come from the same factory but they didn't sound the same to me. The Reissue Gold Lion of all the KT88 I tried (and there were a bunch) sounded the most alike to me to the original Genalex/GEC/Gold Lion KT88. I realize with the Premier 12 you'd need 8 output tubes but the $20 to $30 upcharge for each tube of the Gold Lion versus Electro-Harmonix were worth it in my opinion.

Just my 2¢ naturally.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
WGS57
Regular
Regular

Post by WGS57 »

Wow, that is interesting because I contacted them through their website email system and I have a reply from them saying I can use KT120's. I did use them for about 2.5 months and they worked beautifully. Zero issues...
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

I will ask again thanks
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

KT120 work fine. I personally think it's a matter of personal likes. I like the reissue Tung Sol 6550 when driving Quad ESL 2905/2805 speakers. Great synergy. The Gold Lion KT88 is a great all around tube. I personally like it better than the KT120 in Premier 12 or LP140M amplifiers.

I wouldn't use a Gold Lion in any Audio Research amplifiers with the output tubes horizontally mounted. The Gold Lion does not like horizontal mounting. From memory, I think pin 8 has to be up. Any other rotation and the grid can short. I've seen a CA50 and Reference 300 damaged by using Gold Lion KT88 tubes. Tung Sol tubes are rated to run horizontal.

I like the KT120 in larger ARC amps that run 75ma bias current.