ET250S or MF2550?

From tubes to solid state.
Tuggs
Advanced
Advanced

ET250S or MF2550?

Post by Tuggs »

Having started my CJ journey with a PV6, then an LP66S, I recently bought a CT5, well two in fact. The CT5 and LP66S combo is quite lovely, but I'm leaning towards either of these SS amps to drive my Shahinian Diapasons, rated at 86 dB, 6 ohms nominal, but drop down to under 2 ohms in the high frequencies.

I've read numerous comments saying the ET250S does not handle difficult loads, but I've also read a few comments saying it only behaves properly when connected to a CT5, as both were in production together. Or is this amp just not good with low impedance loads no matter which preamp you put before it?

I've read nothing but wonderful comments regarding the MF2550, especially the SE version. Would my CT5 be outclassed with the 2550? Somehow I think not, so far I find the CT5 to be an outstanding unit. Truth is I wonder how different the 2550 would sound at moderate SPLs from my LP66S. I know the deep bass would be noticeably stronger and tighter, but what about the rest of the frequency range?
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: ET250S or MF2550?

Post by jahatl513 »

As for the ET, I too have read the same things and have shied away from it, although I have to say it has always ticked my box on looks. I have owned a 2500A SS amp and Premier 350, and for some time ran a friends 2550 as well on my Tannoy Kensington GR’s. Opinion here from me is your pre will love the 2550. It’s not a matter of outclassed, but more of the fact the amp will have more complete control over your speakers than the other amp. MF2550 is a power to be reckoned with, not far off the Premier 350 in power but more refined in some ways. The rest of the range,...... well Yes in spades, the mids and highs but overall a total command of the speaker in a pleasing way you won’t want to let go of.
Tuggs
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Tuggs »

As far as aesthetics, you hit the nail on the head. The ET250S is a perfect match for the CT5, and both look like industrial sculpture. Definitely appeals to the right brain.
The left brain asks, based upon the comments essentially saying the ET250S has no balls, where is that threshold at which point the ET250S can no longer keep up with an increasingly difficult load?

The impedance drop I previously mentioned is referenced from the 27-year-old catastrophic Stereophile review, and I know there's been at least one revision since that model. I do wonder, if my version 2s were afflicted with such a wild impedance swing, wouldn't the LP66S show some kind of audible distress?

If the LP66S could sound pretty darn good pushing these speakers, wouldn't the ET250S be able to improve upon that, especially in the bass department, or is the 66 a hidden gem?
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

My ET250S worked well with any preamp--or no preamp at all, being driven by my Oppo 205--even driving 96dB-sensitive mag-planar hybrids.. It sounded superb driving my improved Audio Physic Avantis.

I'm now considering buying another--two, actually--to drive my Vandersteen Seven Mk.IIs and later my Sound Lab Majestic 745s.. If I do buy 2, I'll parallel each's channels to make a pair of mono amps capable of driving 250 Watts into 8 and 800 Watts into 4. We'll see.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."