My CAV 45 S2

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
caryking
Regular
Regular

Re: My CAV 45 S2

Post by caryking »

admin wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:50 am I also use speaker cable lifters. I don't think I notice any difference in the sound but it looks nice and it's easier to dust with the cables off the ground so I've kept them in the system. Doesn't hurt to try these things in my opinion.
Take the lifters out and see what you think. Sometimes I need to live with a change, try not to get involved in listening for a change, then take them out and see if you lose something…
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, I've tried that. No change (to my ears at least). I keep them in as they "look cool" and easier to dust/vacuum around the cables.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Warren Gehl hosted Michael Fremer for a tour of the ARC factory several years ago. Warren is the official “listener” for ARC.

They came to Warren’s listening lair, and MF noted that he had lifters under the cables. They both noted that it seemed like an idea without merit at the outset, but they concurred that they actually could hear the difference.

I have never tried them, and I don’t plan to … but neither MF nor ARC sell lifters, and so their acknowledgement that they were audible is a decent data point.

The Transparent XL speaker cables that I am using have little spikes that raise the network box off the floor, and I am using them.

Some of this stuff just seems like it’s so “off the wall,” and I’m so pleased with my system as it stands, that I just can’t get excited about the flakey tweaks, like magic bricks, magic stones, magic dream catchers, magic fuses, and the like. Maybe some day I’ll try some of these things … but not today.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

All those tweaks

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, agreed on all those tweaks. I've been one fairly on the guilty side, trying all sorts of things. However, there came a point where I realised ,although such tweaks are great, there's a certain threshold that the system will reach. Once it has reached this point, that's it! Just leave it and enjoy those fine tunes! Has always been my motto.

Apart from all the very fancy tweaks, there are some basic elements that require addressing and if these haven't been done properly then the rest of the system will be out of whack:
1. Dedicated AC mains on separate CB's (most important!)
2. Power distribution (using the best power boards you can afford) really makes a difference.
3. Cables and interconnects and the power cords.

That third point is pretty much sky's the limit! You can really go overboard here if you want to splurge but engaging in high dollar spending is not required, as long as the types of cables you've sourced fit nicely for your particular system and form a sense of synergy that's at a high level. So basically each time you play some tunes, those tunes should surprise you in terms of absolute sound, and what kind of sound you prefer. Once that point is reached, the threshold, anything else and above can lead to diminishing returns or a complete overhaul of your system. Either way, if you truly feel any of those tweaks contribute to a positive effect then by all means use it/them!

After my initial years of this hobby and when it progressed into a passion, I tended to focus more on those three critical areas of system setup. The rest can make subtle differences or changes but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Woof! RJ