Post by TTsui »

IMG_0034.jpeg
IMG_0034.jpeg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 26825 times
zermatt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: New CJ ART88 Preamp

Post by zermatt »

TTsui; Thks so much for your info. I pick up my unit tomorrow 12-12-23. This will be fun!
Coppy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Coppy »

Well folks, my ART88 just arrived from Virginia via FedEx. The excellent GAT 1 is sitting here on the floor after more than a decade.
New, just in the system, the 88 is already everything it’s supposed to be. More detail, way more and better bass, and a stunning amount of clarity. Can’t imagine how good this gets after break in. Loud passages in classical music are perfectly clear. Images are spread out in front of me. The gain is the same yet seems a bit less… probably due to the new clarity. Purchasing this preamp was a big decision but already glad I decided to go for the ART88.
Coppy

ART88 PRE, TEA1bc, ART27a AMP, Wilson Yvette, Rega Planar 10, B&W DB-D subs,
Wireworld Platimum ICs and SC, dCS Bartok, Shunyata Denali 2
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's awesome. Congrats. Really the best of the best. Very happy for you (and jealous)!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Coppy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Coppy »

Thanks. But please don’t be jealous… not worth the energy.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Bob
Coppy

ART88 PRE, TEA1bc, ART27a AMP, Wilson Yvette, Rega Planar 10, B&W DB-D subs,
Wireworld Platimum ICs and SC, dCS Bartok, Shunyata Denali 2
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I was just joking. I'm just happy for you. Enjoy the tunes and a very happy new year!
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one Coppy mate! Well done 👏

Like I said a few minutes ago on another post, CJ is at another level of musical refinement with finesse!
The ART series gear takes this very statement to the core, and it's truly SOTA!

A very few have auditioned this particular CJ gear, and once you have it's just awe-inspiring experience. To me, nothing really compares at this price point. JF has done a remarkable job, truly superb!

With any of CJ's previous gear, starting from the PV series, Premier series, LP series and onto the Classic and ART series gear, all of these systems comprise of one thing that CJ has always remained in pure high Fidelity, and that's been faithful to the original recording. There's nothing more to add.

WOOF! Enjoy those finest tunes!
RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Bob,

Congrats with your new preamp. And please don't be sorry about us, the ones that are green color skin due to the good envy.Oh yes, we would like to be owners of a such divine preamplifier. You are the user, so you know what it is doing to your new super good quality sound. As the big dog says: enjoy those fantastic tunes.
Happy listening.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

WOOF!!!
RJ
zermatt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by zermatt »

Here is my experience with tube rolling in the Art88. The preamp is mated with a CJ Prem 8XS with Teflon caps and other upgrades courtesy of Bill T of Music Tech.

Stock Tubes: Philips PC88: very balanced sound and it’s the base line for the Art 88 performance potential. I now have 3 other pairs for the long haul.

Substitute tubes:

Electro Harmonix: 6dj8 with Cyro treatment gold pins: Much warmer and sight roll off of upper mids and highs when compared to the Philips PC88, Jeff saz these will not last. We shall see. Very nice on classical music tracks the piano and violin lines. Its like a cop with a radar gun on back county roads he tracking you every move. I put the sound field in the center of the hall in row L. Very impressive.
JJ: 6dj8: It’s a $30 tube. I figured I try the cheapest just get the full capabilities. This tubes make my system sound like the prem 7 is back in the system. I put the sound field in the center of the hall in row R. Its still breaking in but much more laid back then the Philips and Electro Harmonix. I like it.

Philips PC88 SQ: Holy cow. It takes the Philips PC88 performance up serval notches. Sound stage expands, coherence become very fluid and seamless. Tonality is rich and relaxing. These are the rugged versions that should last 10K hours. That about 5 – 7 years. This only you only put in the system for special occasions.

Telefunken CCA: I have these in my Metronome DAC. That unit stays on all the time. They been in the dac for 5 years and still sound fantastic. Rich and warm on vocals. Bill T of Music Tech also ramped up the performance of this unit. I had to get these for the preamp. Back to the Telefunken CCA in the ART 88. On analog with the Art phono. The speakers just disappear music and details just flow like water. It brings out the right amount of grunt on bass lines. Its impact of vocals is dramatic. I put the sound field with this tube, front row center of the hall, if not closer. Careful matching of down steam tubes and Amps and Speaker cables is critical. Once again, I would only put in the system for special occasions.
More to come on Mullard, Philips ECG (USA) and Gold Lion tubes
zermatt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by zermatt »

Here is an update:
I tried the Western Electric JW2C51 / 396A with the 6922 Adapter Combo form tube depot made the preamp go into oscillation. I was getting weird noises out the speakers. Even after removing the tubes the proamp was still in oscillation mode. Luckily, I received a full refund. Thks Tube Depot!
The Philips ECG 6922 (usa are really nice) Reminds me of the CJ sound in the 80s. These will not last due to the 6.7 heater voltage but should work fine for 4-week intervals.
Overall, I really like the Art88 preamp. It’s a major step up from my CJ Premier 7 (I had that for 28 years). Way to go Jeff.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad it worked out well. Tube depot is really great. I've bought from them before.
-admin