Premiere 12 MB power on indicator light

From tubes to solid state.
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Premiere 12 MB power on indicator light

Post by goonybird »

Although you should be able to tell if the Premiere 12 Monoblocks are on, by the soft glow of the tubes, I find it difficult to tell from the sofa.
Has anyone done a power-on indicator light/led modification.
It is likely to be tricky as I wouldn’t want to drill the front panel. I did consider dismatling the power switch and fitting a small light in the rocker switch, maybe a neon.
Or are ther the same switches available with an indicator light.

Any sensible ideas please
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Premiere 12 MB power on indicator light

Post by admin »

Sounds like a fun project. If it was up to me I would go with a switch that had a light built in as I probably would not want to drill out the front cover.

In all honesty though, as this is a tube amp, I don't find much confusion with it being on or off. I turn all my gear on before listening and turn everything off after. So if my preamp is on, my amp is on. And vice versa.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
WGS57
Regular
Regular

Post by WGS57 »

I thought about the same idea and my solution was to add a non-invasive installation light facing downward underneath the chassis...but that is as far as I got. A bright blue light facing downward could be gorgeous. I just don't know which kind of light to use...AC or DC? I don't want any interference being introduced to the driver stage.

Are there any tech's on this page that could offer up some suggestions?

The admin had a great answer but sometimes you just walk away and forget whether your system is on. I am 66 and it's happened to me. It's also my understanding that power amp tubes wouldn't last as long as preamp tubes and noticing I forgot to turn off ,my Premier 12's could cause me to speak in tongues! Ha ha!

Many thanks for your thoughts! I hope everyone is having a great Holiday Season and I send out big helloes to all my good fellow citizens of our beautiful world called Earth.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A quick glance at the schematic seems to indicate that the switch is directly off of the mains, so I would probably just use a small AC to DC power supply going to a short LED strip. You can tap directly into the AC line right after the switch so as to not introduce any sound issues into the post transformer stage.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
WGS57
Regular
Regular

Post by WGS57 »

That sounds like a very good idea. I will try that actually. I saw a pair of mono blocks that had the lighting underneath the chassis and it was really beautiful to look at. Mind you your solution made the most sense. Thanks for the idea! I will post an image when I have it working.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think there are multiple good options for lighting. You can do underneath or even on the back. The Premiere 12 also has a pretty big clearance between the tubes and the top case so I can see even lighting up the inside and have the light come out around the tubes. I don't think you can go wrong with any option.
-admin
WGS57
Regular
Regular

Post by WGS57 »

Now you have my mind wondering. Could be lit from the inside. Finding short runs of leds I believe is difficult. Thanks for those thoughts :)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

WGS57 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:36 pm Now you have my mind wondering. Could be lit from the inside. Finding short runs of leds I believe is difficult. Thanks for those thoughts :)
You can buy LED strips and they are made to be cut at each LED point. So you just cut the strip for however many LEDs you want. You just have to make sure your power supply supports the number of LEDs you plan to have.
-admin