Interconnects Needed, Recommendations?

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Interconnects Needed, Recommendations?

Post by jimbones »

Hello All,

My System consists of an ET5 and pair of P12's. Holo Spring 3 DAC and my own DIY 12/3 speakers. I want to upgrade my interconnects. I currently have VanDen Hul from the 1980's. Need recommendations for a RCA budget $650 (prefer used) 1.5m. This will go between DAC and Pre. Thanks.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Interconnects Needed, Recommendations?

Post by admin »

Lot's of great choices out there with that budget and no real "wrong answer." Have you tried any of the Audioquest line? They make some nice interconnects at a wide range of price points.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day JB mate. Great to hear from you.

That ET5 and Prem12 monoblocks is a fine combination!
Yes, I understand the importance of cables and accessories, and especially the synergy aspect of cable installations.

Have used Van Den Hull cables many years ago, and remember one particular system we put together for a customer in the UK (doctor chap). He was using a full Van Den Hull loom at the time with Audio Lab amplifiers and Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. The Audio Lab gear was ok... until we introduced CJ's PFR preamp and a MF2300 power amp. That combination hit the Audio Lab gear out of the country side!

Although his system comprised of 4 Audio Lab monoblocks and an Audio Lab preamp, just a single stereo power amp MF2300A, was more than adequate to feel the difference and it was a remarkable difference!

Then he switched over to other cables and accessories, we introduced AQ, Kimber Select, Monster, Cord, and Audio Note, including our personal preference, Nordost. Some combinations were quite good and others not so good. Interesting thing was, we ended up with Cardas!
So, it was a full Cardas loom, and he was very very delighted and so were we!

Having noted the above scenario, it goes to show that there's no perfect one type/brand or make of cable. It's highly system dependent. What we learnt is that whatever cable, type or make and price point you engage with, all you need to make sure is that it remains as neutral as possible. This means, that the cables should not add much colorations to the original recording.

The more neutral the cables are, means you may also hear more of the gear, which means more from the source gear, which will also get you closer to the actual recording. That's the goal! If you can find a type/ brand of cables that gets you closer to the recording or at least seems to allow more of the music to flow... then that's the one! Regardless of price or make.

Even though we used top line Nordost cables at the time, and Kimber Select series, his particular system achieved better synergy with the Cardas line.
Just thought I'd mention this because only after that particular incident, we did realise the importance of system synergy being a critical factor.

You'll have to try various brands and makes across your gear to determine which one you prefer. Initially we all thought that Van Den Hull was quite good... only when we changed it did we realise his system had great potential.

Cheers, RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the requirement for synergy. I am trying now to separate the real cable manufacturers from the wanna be's.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

Agree with the general ideas expressed by Big Dog.
Personally I like Cardas. Great people with a wide range, honestly described.
Sephiam
Regular
Regular

Post by Sephiam »

As I assume we all have a box or two of interconnects, my most recent foray uses Zu Audio (Digital(s) to CAV 45-S2) and I'm quite pleased compared with other manufacturer's products I have on hand. Also, you may want to consider Benchmark Media's comments on interconnects for digital (can't get the link to load at the moment). It's funny, but for whatever reason I've always been drawn to try Van Den Hull in different rigs and never pulled the trigger.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

jimbones wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:33 am Hello All,

My System consists of an ET5 and pair of P12's. Holo Spring 3 DAC and my own DIY 12/3 speakers. I want to upgrade my interconnects. I currently have VanDen Hul from the 1980's. Need recommendations for a RCA budget $650 (prefer used) 1.5m. This will go between DAC and Pre. Thanks.
What's wrong with your current cables?
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

i demoed a pair of Nordost Frey 2 in my system and heard an improvement. However it is beyond my budget. I am considering cables that may be better than my 40 year old VanDen Hul
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

jimbones wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:15 pm i demoed a pair of Nordost Frey 2 in my system and heard an improvement. However it is beyond my budget. I am considering cables that may be better than my 40 year old VanDen Hul
Can you articulate the nature of the improvement the Nordost made over your Vanden Hul? What is it about the Vanden Hul that you feel can be improved?
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

Truth71 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:54 pm Personally I like Cardas. Great people with a wide range, honestly described.
Agreed, and some cable buyers don't realize that Cardas also produces copper for other high-end cable manufacturers. So their actual copper wire is in others' products, although (wisely) they won't say which ones. I had a funny encounter in an elevator with a smaller cable manufacturer...and I slowly covered up the "Cardas" on my hat when our eyes met. They laughed, and said no worries as many of them buy from one other. And the Cardas folks are nice people as well--Josh and Angela will always take a moment to speak with someone.

I have two sets of Cardas cables in my system but have in recent years tried some of Morrow Audio's interconnects and have been pleased. I like the science behind them, and I like supporting a small company.

In a twist of irony, I bought my two Cardas sets from Morrow. In the past, as they were getting established, we used to be able to trade in other brands of cables for new Morrow cables as a credit, and they'd bring those trade-ins to the audio shows to sell. And on the final day of an audio show, the last thing they want to do is pack up and haul a lot of boxes home, so the best deals are often on the last day of the show. They only take trade-ins of other Morrow cables now, which is a good deal if you need to upgrade or change your configuration.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1