Loud static from a loudspeaker when I approach it

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
Overhang
Advanced
Advanced

Loud static from a loudspeaker when I approach it

Post by Overhang »

Hello
This problem started with the arrival of the heating season so I attribute it to the static electricity. Every time I go to my system to change record or cd ,there is a loud static discharge from my right loudspeaker when I approach it.It sounds like a stylus hitting a nasty scratch on a record in a burst of 4-5 loud pops. I checked and replugged all my wiring but the problem persists. If I listen to a streamer without getting up and getting close to the speaker then everything is fine. It happens only when I approach it. I live in this apt for 6 years. Have the same radiators,same carpet and pretty much the setup was unchanged. Any ideas how to get rid of this annoyance. Started this month. Any ideas would be appreciated.
My system: Revel Salon Ultima loudspeakers
Pass Labs X250.5 power amp
C-J Premier 18 &Premier 10
Kimber Bifocal XL speaker wires
Straight wire Crescendo 3 cabling
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Loud static from a loudspeaker when I approach it

Post by admin »

If it's static there are a couple of things you can do.

If this is a "Winter" issue. Run a humidifier. This will decrease the chance of static discharge.

You can try to use a secondary ground wife connected to the metal housing of all the equipment. This may or may not resolve the issue depending on whether it is your body that is creating a static discharge. You can try removing things like rugs and blankets that can often creat lots of static.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Overhang
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Overhang »

Thanks..Just ordered one same day delivery.Hope the problem will be fixed. I’ll post an update.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've never used one myself, but they do sell anti-static fans. They look like small fans that supposedly help with static in a room. If the humidifier and trying to remove static producing rugs/blankets doesn't remediate the problem then perhaps that would be something to try as well.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Overhang
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Overhang »

The humidifier didn’t help. I am still getting it. Also,I started hearing other appliances through my speakers like when I’m switching tv off or changing speeds on the fan. And I have a dedicated line.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you have an older house where the electric may not be up to modern spec? If you are getting line noise from other devices a power conditioner may be worthwhile to look at.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola, just thinking loud, do you have a good earth connected to your system? This might discharge the possible static electricity that it is build up to ground.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.