Premier 14 issue

The PV-1 to now...
wspohn
Beginner
Beginner

Premier 14 issue

Post by wspohn »

My Premier 14 suddenly dropped volume in one channel. Not to zero - you can adjust the display from 0 to 1 while the other channel adjusts normally. When the affected channel is at '1' the sound is faintly audible just as it is when you adjust to the same on the good channel, so not zero output.

Any ideas on what would cause that? Blown tube, perhaps?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Premier 14 issue

Post by admin »

You can try transposing the tubes to see if you can get it to the other channel and that would confirm a tube issue. If you have a spare tube then I would just try a new tube in each of the 4 tube positions.

If those don't change the outcome, then you will have to look at the electronics. You would have to look at the entire channel's signal path as it could be a fault at any place.

I would also start with a thorough visual examination looking for any burn marks, bulging caps, cold solder joints, etc...

Let us know how the "investigation" proceeds.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
wspohn
Beginner
Beginner

Post by wspohn »

Interestingly, I put a substitute preamp into the main system and it took me a few weeks to get around to looking at the 14. When I did, before I started tube testing/swapping, I tried the volume and balance controls and they were operating perfectly!

Now if my Premier 11a hadn't tanked the power supply all would be well with the world....
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Interesting. Glad it's working. Perhaps a contact issue? I would keep a careful eye on it in case it comes back.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.