Premier 350 power switch

From tubes to solid state.
gnobber
Beginner
Beginner

Premier 350 power switch

Post by gnobber »

I have a Premier 350 (purchased 2007). Lately the power switch has been very unreliable, takes many presses to get it to turn on. Does anyone have any suggestions about a remedy?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Premier 350 power switch

Post by admin »

First, welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us.

I would probably remove the switch and try to use some contact cleaner. Maybe you get lucky with an easy inexpensive fix. If that doesn't work, then the switch would need to be replaced. You unfortunately can't order replacement parts directly from CJ so it's either send the unit in for repair or try to find a OEM replacement.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
gnobber
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gnobber »

great,thanks for your reply! I have found a local technician that is going to take a look at it Monday, hopefully it just needs contact cleaner. It looks like the button energizes a coil which closes a relay, so I hope it isn't one of those parts that are deeper inside.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

While I generally agree with the comment that CJ does not sell parts, there are some exceptions. Vishay resistors and CJD capacitors are definitely not available. However, I have had good success buying job shop items like power switches, rubber feet, and push button selector switches. Parts cost more than if you bought from an electronics supplier like DigiKey. I don't have much spare time to enjoy hobby, so I'm Ok with paying more for a CJ sourced part than taking the time to find it elsewhere.

It never hurts to ask. And, if you don't ask the answer is always no.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They sold you those parts directly? Recently? I was really under the impression that other than tubes and fuses, they are not selling components any longer.
-admin
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

Yes, within the last 8 months. I scratched the power button on my ET5 and was able to get a new switch. A couple of years past I bought a Premier 4 that had a non factory power switch. It was a short toggle and looked bad. I bought a NOS switch, a generic 20 ohm power resistor, and new rubber feet for the amp.

Maybe things have changed since then. I know that a lot of people post about bad service or response from CJ. I don't feel the same way. I 100% understand Jeff's position related to not selling proprietary parts like the Vishay resistors and CJD capacitors.

I never call CJ. I send an email stating that I want to buy a part, the reason why, and to let me know how much the invoice is so I can pay it. I get an email back with an invoice and instructions to call in to pay with a credit card. Thinking about it now, my credit card is on file. Last order I got an email with invoice and tracking number; didn't have to call in the CC number. CJ prices appear to have a 5X multiplier over items sourced at an electronics job shop. I feel that's reasonable because I don't have to spent time looking for the correct part.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's good to hear. Sounds like you new exactly which part you needed and perhaps that makes them more agreeable to send the part out. I don't think they do any troubleshooting or diagnostic services over the phone/email. Switches are also relatively easy to repair compared to say board components.

I've bought tubes and fuses from them in the past and there is a markup. But as you say, you know you are getting the right parts and that could save a lot of headache down the line.
-admin