ART Phono Preamp

The PV-1 to now...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

ART Phono Preamp

Post by admin »

CJ just released their new ART Phono preamp: https://conradjohnson.com/art-phono/

It looks like the new ART line is now complete. Super high end with no compromise and a hefty price tag to match. I think Jeff had a very clear plan on orienting CJ more toward the high end and it's nice to see this plan come to fruition. My understanding is that their higher end products would more successful and this is critically important to make the business viable.

As for this new addition it appears that it is a no compromise phono solution for those seeking the best of the best. I'm interested in hearing people's experiences once some units get out into the world.

Congrats to Jeff at CJ as he really seems to have navigated the difficult waters of home audio in a successful way with the new ART line.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: ART Phono Preamp

Post by Joe Appierto »

CJ/Jeff continues to concentrate on the high-end. Not as stratospheric as some other companies but definitely not for anyone interested trying out tubed equipment. That would make sense for what are essentially bespoke products.

I'm assuming the six tubes are split between three for phono 1 and three for phono 2 and it'll be interesting to see when more information becomes available what type was chosen. The 6922 family is a likely candidate in that they are produced by a number of companies although the 12Ax family although a little old school would be another possibility.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Outstanding!

I came across the specs, such that for Phono 1, it also uses step-up trannies for very low out cartridges. This is exactly what the TEA2SE Max incorporates. That was the last upgrade I got done on my TEA2SE.

So looks like the ART phono comes with the step-up trannies included, and obviously at the ART standard. This is really tops! Anyone getting one of these units must have a SOTA TT rig, otherwise it won't be upto par.

Generally with CJ gear, the rest of the associated/ ancillary gear, must also be of high quality and high standards that CJ is based on. Only then the full effect takes place and the presentation is superb!

As Joe very rightly pointed out, even though this is at a high price tag, considering most other lofty gear... this is not too shabby at all. So, quite well within a reasonable range considering.

Judging from the performance of the ART88 preamp and ART108A''s that I had the pleasure of auditioning, JF has really hit this one out of the stadium! I would say.

Cheers and a mighty WOOF!
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just received CJ's email newsletter and it was interesting to see that it looks like you can preorder this from both dealers as well as CJ directly. It seems like CJ is transitioning, at least partly, to an optional direct sale model. This could be an interesting change in dynamics. Of course many audio companies already do it, but there needs to be care to make sure the dealers are not offended.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Ooopppsss, please excuse me. I did not see this.

Joe, I don’t think it would be a split design. Using today’s electronics, switching inputs can be done digitally.
Phono 1 is for MC and MM , phono 2 is for MC and MM too. PHONO 1 factory adjusted for both MM a d MC cartridges. The 53dB 47.5Kohms~63dB 46 Ohms fixed, where 53 dB for MM and 63dB is for MC. On Phono2, with the help of a stepped transformer, you are able to adjust your needs for the most cartridges in the marketplace.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I misunderstood. Thanks, Roberto, for explaining.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

My understanding is, as per the specs of the ART phono-preamp: the Step-up tranny is included in the unit.

Similar to the TEA2SE Max version. Obviously the ART phono-preamp is based on higher grade parts equivalent to the ART series line up. So, in this case an additional step-up tranny is not required for very low MC carts.... It's already in it!

That's pretty good, given its price tag and so it can accommodate many types of TT installations. That's quite nifty given that moat highend preamps don't offer any additional features or gadgets. Everything costs extra... and each little item added equals out to a very lofty sum!

I sincerely believe this ART phono-preamp is bloody marvelous! Hats off to JF 👏 👍
Woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Short notice but CJ will be at Capital Audiofest in Washington DC this weekend. They will have the newest ART series for demo. If anybody is near by it may be worth checking out.
-admin