EV1 Phono changing dip switches

The PV-1 to now...
goonybird
Pro
Pro

EV1 Phono changing dip switches

Post by goonybird »

I have MM and MC cartridges and find it a pain to keep removing the lid on my EV1 Phono Stage to change dip switch settings
Considering cutting an access hole in the lid?
Anybody else any suggestions
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EV1 Phono changing dip switches

Post by admin »

Nothing great but you could always lift the dip swtich and run wires to make it external. Not really an ideal situation and probably not the way I would do it.

Or you can always run the unit without the top cover. No harm in that.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

I have a love/hate relationship with the EV1. My biggest issue is that it has too much gain for MM carts and overloads the PV14's input. (If I want to listen quietly, I can't turn it down low enough and/or there are large steps in volume control adjustments.) I somewhat cured that with proper attenuators but it's not ideal.

I would almost look for a different phono stage, to be honest. My Phonomena II+ is on the sidelines, but all the DIP switches are accessible from the rear panel and include choices for both gain and loading. The EV1 seems to be designed more for someone who never swaps cartridges.

You could also put the cover on with minimal or no screws or better yet, see if there are knurled thumb screws which would fit the chassis, and affixing maybe only the front two screws, and one or two in the rear, to keep the unit shielded to prevent EMI from entering the circuits.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wildcat wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:12 pm The EV1 seems to be designed more for someone who never swaps cartridges.
It is. And for 95% of people this is fine as they don't tend to swap cartridges.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

That is actually my dilemma. I would like to switch between a few cartridges, even a dedicated cartridge for 78 RPM records (as I have some I want to archive). The Dynavector I'd like to use for certain types of recordings (it's a lower-output moving coil), and the Nagaoka for others. My 78 RPM cartridge is a Shure M44 with 78 RPM stylus. It's no big deal with interchangeable headshells, but it would take time digging behind all the components to change to the Phonomena phono stage and make sure the DIP switches are set properly. I do have a step-up transformer but that is just something else to fuss with.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just don't see a lot of phono preamps set up to do that on the fly. Even if the dip switches are external, they are almost always put on the back or underneath the unit which makes access difficult.

Probably the simplest solution would be RCA connector attenuators. But I'm not a big fan of them. Not sure what influence they would have on sound quality.
-admin
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

admin wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:32 pm I just don't see a lot of phono preamps set up to do that on the fly. Even if the dip switches are external, they are almost always put on the back or underneath the unit which makes access difficult.
With my Phonomena, I first have to move the phono stage out a little, and the feet tend to stick to the component beneath it. Then I need the plastic screwdriver, a bright flashlight, and my better reading glasses to be able to tell one blur of numbers from another, all while consulting the chart of load settings to figure out which DIP switches to change.

There are a couple out there which can change loading and gain via a remote. The PSA Stellar Phono has that capability--it has two inputs, MM and MC. The MM input lets you change the gain, and the MC input also lets you change the loading from either a handful of values or a custom value set by a pair of controls on the back panel (knobs).
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My JD9 phono preamp has high and low outputs. I would still need to change the input, and then all the separate dip switch settings resistance and capacitance settings and then I guess I could run two lines to the preamp. But certainly not ideal and still would have to change phono input. Doable but certainly not practical.
-admin
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Post by goonybird »

I find ev1 is fine on levels into prem 17ls. No overloading with reson reca (goldring 1042)
Have sorted how to increase capacitance.
Last thing is changed the awful red led for yellow to match ls17.
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Post by goonybird »

While looking for somewhere to add in 100pf capacitor I happened to check the Input Impedance on the EV1 for each switch seetting
and the diagram for the dipswitches is wrong (numbers reversed)
So might adjust it correctly for moving coil and have a play as it was set to 9.6k not 200ohm as intended

Impedance Switch On

200 ohms Switch 1
500 ohms Switch 2
1.9Kohms Switch 3
9.6kohms Switch 4

no swiitches 47k ohms