Mini System with PV-14L and MV-55

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mini System with PV-14L and MV-55

Post by admin »

The Martin Logan 35XTi's are actually very impressive. The only reason I was able to put them in my "$2k" budget system was because I found them on sale at my local high end audio store preowned. There are certainly better speakers out there but again, getting $1500 speakers into a $2k total budget system is not a bad allocation, in my opinion. It does really sound wonderful and I play all kinds of music on it from classical and jazz to rock and roll.

I am using a Wiim mini as source. It does a lot for an amazing sub $100 entry point.

I haven't experimented with other speakers as it's not in the budget. I really have the "good gear" upstairs which gets the critical listening time. But this setup is nice as it's in our downstairs "living space."
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

Yes, those ML speakers with their ribbon have been on my radar for a while too. Every so often they go on sale or you find a used pair.

BTW, did CJ ever build a tuner?

I got the PV9 and the MF2100 that I could set up with my ADS L810s. Running an Android->USB-OTG->Nuforce uDAC2 for analog.

Currently that set up uses an NAD 1700 Monitor Series Pre/Pro and a Nuforce STA200 amp. But I think the PV9 will sound better.

The thing is that the current NAD is easy to use with the remote. If I go with the CJ stack then I do have a few Parasound Z tuners ( with remote ) but now it will be more buttons to get it running and I don't know that the Parasound tuner will look that good on top of the PV9/MF2100 stack.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tonye wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:31 am Yes, those ML speakers with their ribbon have been on my radar for a while too. Every so often they go on sale or you find a used pair.
It was a luck of the draw find for me. My local audio shop had a used pair.
BTW, did CJ ever build a tuner?
CJ never built a tuner.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Was doing some listening on the "mini system" and I'm so amazed how nice of a sound you can get from a budget setup. We spend a lot of time talking about high end components that cost 5 figures, or more in some cases, and of course those are amazing. But for those price points you would accept nothing less. But one can hobble together a more modest system and still get a taste of the "high end." Of course the wonderful sound of the CJ units is behind this magic.

Happy listening to all! :)
-admin
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one mate, and agreed 110%!

With careful component selection, proper room set-up and decent cables & accessories, there's certainly no need to spend a fortune to enjoy those fine tunes. Of course it's not easy to make those wise choices without having the experience... that always proves to be useful when making those purchase decisions. As I've always said, keep it simple as possible and you'll hear more of everything!

Glad to hear those fine tunes are still going on that wonderful classic tube gear. Just gotta love it!
Cheers to c-j! Woof, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Exactly. And having the components fairly balanced in cost helps keep the overall cost down. No reason to put $2,000 cables into an under $1,000 component system. A very high enjoyment to cost ratio here!
-admin