Electrolytic cap on CJ preamp (PV9/PV9a)

The PV-1 to now...
Robbie
Regular
Regular

Electrolytic cap on CJ preamp (PV9/PV9a)

Post by Robbie »

Hello,
as many of you surely know, at some point CJ equipment quit using electrolytic capacitors in their equipments.
It's the case of PV9 and PV9a preamps (I possess the latter), but...

...actually while there are not electrolytic capacitors in the signal path, there still one left that I really don't know what its job is.
You can see in this picture of a PV9 (but the PV9a it's basically the same).
Immagine.png
Immagine.png (1.76 MiB) Viewed 1450 times
So, being the equipment well over 30 years old, I was evaluating the replacement of that specific cap, (keepin in place every other one).
Any suggestion on the replacement? I would like to avoid an electrolityc cap, if the available space allows it.
Any sound improvement expectations?

Thanks in advance for any help
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Electrolytic cap on CJ preamp (PV9/PV9a)

Post by admin »

Not sure what part of the circuit that cap belongs to but if you could pull the specs off the cap and compare it with the parts list and schematic (which we have both in our schematics database) you have a good chance of finding out what part of the circuit it is employed in. Can you read the rating off of it and post the values?

As for cap recommendations, there are a lot of choices. I've used Solen caps in some of my DIY upgrades.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

If I was to show this to my trusted CJ techie, he'd know straight away! The only issue is thst he's too busy with servicing other audio gear from a reputable highend audio importer. If I get a chance I'll let you know but that's pretty slim.

As Admin suggested, if you can get hold of the schematic, it should be an easy find. These are based on the classic tube circuit. BTW that PV9 still looks classic! Beautiful gear.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola,

Judging by the drawing, and see also bride diodes, this tells me that it belongs to a part of the power supply. Do you have any hum once the unit is on? If you don't, the cap is working fine.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

roberto wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:10 am Hola,

Judging by the drawing, and see also bride diodes, this tells me that it belongs to a part of the power supply. Do you have any hum once the unit is on? If you don't, the cap is working fine.

Happy listening!
Due to its proximity to the transformer I was also thinking it was part of the power supply. The cap looks pretty unique compared to the others in the unit so if he can read off the values, he can identify the specific component on the PV9 parts list and then match that up to the schematic diagram.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.