CT5 vs premier 16 LS2 vs premier 17 LS2

The PV-1 to now...
smodtactical
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Re: CT5 vs premier 16 LS2 vs premier 17 LS2

Post by smodtactical »

Still thinking of a CJ pre. I now heard a doge 8 and allnic l3000 v2. The doge 8 was nice, maybe a bit more open and detailed than my reference bottlehead moreplay. The Allnic was good but shockingly I think moreplay was better.

My buddy who loaned me the allnic and doge is talking down the CJ preamps saying they arent that good.. but I absolutely love the LP70S so I was thinking maybe CJ makes a hell of a preamp as well ? What do you think ? My eye keeps returning to the ET5. I just feel like CJ makes great gear with amazing parts. My only reservation is the use of so few tubes... I want to make sure I am getting at least some warmth and golden cj tone with the preamps.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Many love the ET5. I would be surprised if you were disappointed. I don't think there is necessarily a direct correlation with "tube count and warmth of sound." I've heard many preamps/amps with few tubes that sounded very "tube like" and then others with lots of tubes and yet sounded close to SS.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
smodtactical
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by smodtactical »

Well said admin, thanks.
Paul001
Regular
Regular

Post by Paul001 »

Personally I prefer the premier 16-17, they have a more captivating sound and in line with the fame of the house. I would replace only electrolytic capacitors and enjoy the music
JBL 4333, Hiraga classe A 80w, CJ premier 17(for line),Revox B77, Studer 727 zos, Vpi Prime Lyra Clavis D.C., Pre-Pre Hiraga, CJ premier 2 (for phono)
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

The quality sound on both preamps are great and easy to tell if you do a comparison with other brands having similar retail price, and I will add, being CJ less expensive than the others.

The newer model, the ET'5 to my ears is more pure, more kind of organic sound, more precise. You are entitle to choose the one that your ears liked most. What I do like, not necessary must be your liking and vice versa. Let your ears decide. Trust what your ears are telling you. Both have the CJ signature sound quality! Also, Conrad Johnson sounds right!

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.