CJ wish list...

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Russell232
Beginner
Beginner

CJ wish list...

Post by Russell232 »

This topic is dedicated to CJ lovers, who if they had some influence with the designers would ask for the following (my list below):

a.) more solid state amps! The Premier 350 is generally regarded as a classic. If they did it once, can't they do it again? CJ will always be mostly known as a producer of tube based components but look at the success they've had with some of their SS exceptions! The PFR pre and Premier 350 amp (I had the former but not the latter) are wonderful products.
b.) Pre's with integrated phono: I've never understood how we got on this bandwagon of having a separate box.
c.) integrated amp that can compete with upper IG's of Pass, Krell, Ypsilon, (SP?) etc.

Please chime in on
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: CJ wish list...

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Their answers would be

1. We don’t do SS anymore. Jeff’s a tube guy.

2. You can add a phono card to your preamp if you don’t want the extra box. It’s not too expensive.

3. CAV 45 S2 is as good as it gets. Tube audio bliss!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I'd second the wish for a solid state integrated. My CA200 must be rounding its 20th birthday and as well-made as it may be it isn't going to last forever. With any luck it'll outlast me but what about the young-uns?

Does it sound as good as the 16LS2/140 it replaced? Nope but at 38 pounds versus the 85 pound Premier 140 it's still manageable for an old fogey like me. Plus, I figure if it was good enough for either Mr. Conrad or Mr. Johnson (I don't remember which) to take home for his personal use that's got to say something.

Maybe CJ could expand its personnel count to 2 and get a solid-state guy?
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Joe Appierto wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:35 pm Maybe CJ could expand its personnel count to 2 and get a solid-state guy?
That would be Mr. McCormick (sp?).

There is still some sort of business relationship between on of the founders and McCormick’s operation if some of the business data web sites are right.

It will be interesting as tube availability plays out this coming year. They may be looking for another McCormick-like partnership.

I have to admit that after it broke in, but before it failed, I thought the Levinson 5805 was perhaps the best thing I’d heard up to that point. I’ve been told that there was a batch of bad power supplies that had to be replaced. Levinson made good on warranty.

In my auditions to trade the Ref 250SEs a few weeks ago, I wanted either the D’Agostino integrated or the 032 Burmester.

I auditioned them both. The D’Agostino was clearly not a good match for my ears. The 032 sounded really good.

I reluctantly let them set up the 088/911mk3 audition, and it ruined me for the integrateds. I came out of that audition shaking my head and said “That $68k worth of gear clearly sounds better than the integrateds, but even with a trade, I don’t think it’s in my budget.”

So then they brought in and set up a REF6SE like mine at home. It was really good too … it sounded comparable to the 088. So I bought the 911mk3 and paired it with my REF6SE.

But then I noticed that I could come up with an 088 for short money through some contacts, and I bought one.

In my system here, both the REF6SE and 088 sound great, but the 088 is the best I’ve heard so far. This is a bad time to try to re-home tube gear, but I may be doing exactly that. Or maybe setting up a second system.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I too would love some expansion in the CJ line. But in all honesty, I don't think that is where Jeff wants to take the company. Tube amps and preamps are his forte and I can't really blame him. It's a "one man shop." You can devote your time to do a little of everything or a few things, but those few things being excellent. There seems to be a strong market for high end tube gear and this is the market that CJ seems to be focused on at this point.

I don't think we are going to see SS, DACs, CD players, etc... again. Those take a lot of effort to develop and support. Supporting the "simple" analog gear is even a challenge. CJ has also moved away from entry level gear. No chronograph line equivalent. Again, it seems that Jeff thinks that high end is where CJ's future lies. He's probably right.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:09 pm No chronograph line equivalent. Again, it seems that Jeff thinks that high end is where CJ's future lies. He's probably right.
Sonograph line.

Certainly the money is in the high end. Especially with CJ’s minimalist dealer network. When entry level is priced at McIntosh mid level, and the dealers are small operators, the sales volume just isn’t there to generate a big revenue stream. There’s probably more profit in the sale of one ART88 than there is in the sale of five ET6s.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I reluctantly agree with you both. But it was a wish list, right? :(
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Joe Appierto wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:50 pm I reluctantly agree with you both. But it was a wish list, right? :(
It’s a good wish, no doubt.

It could come true if our politics drive tube production to oblivion. :(
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:42 pm
admin wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:09 pm No chronograph line equivalent. Again, it seems that Jeff thinks that high end is where CJ's future lies. He's probably right.
Sonograph line.
Ha, this is what happens when you type on your phone and autocorrect changes things and you don't even notice!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:32 pm
AnotherJohnson wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:42 pm
Sonograph line.
Ha, this is what happens when you type on your phone and autocorrect changes things and you don't even notice!
I wouldn’t have pointed it out, but Otto Korrekt gave you chronograph for sonograph the other day too. He’s a busy fella’.