Evolution 20 questions

The PV-1 to now...
Simonml
Beginner
Beginner

Evolution 20 questions

Post by Simonml »

Hello,

I am new to this site, thank you for the add!
I just found this site in looking for reference material for my Evolution 20 preamp. Not the SE model. I hope somone out here may have some insigh.

This preamp sounds amazing. Ine quirk is that the volume control does not seem to cut off all the sound when it is all the way down. It does make a static sound when i increase/decrease the volume. Have anyone ever encountered this.

Aside from that it is that the preamp overall and especially the phono is great!

Cheers,

Simon
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Evolution 20 questions

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO, great to have you with us.

I would use some deoxit contact cleaner on the volume control. Just spray some in there and turn it up and down numerous times (with the unit off and unplugged obviously).
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Simonml
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Simonml »

Thank you. That will be a project for the weekend!
MLAS
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by MLAS »

Or you have DC on your pot...
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola,
If your speakers are very sensitive, it is normal when you go up or down with the knob. CJ uses a very careful way to bring the level up or down. It is a precision +- 0.7dB. So you can adjust precisely the level that you want to listen. Yes, I know, it is annoying...and there is no way to take this odd noise off.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
MLAS
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by MLAS »

roberto wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:41 pm Hola,
If your speakers are very sensitive, it is normal when you go up or down with the knob. CJ uses a very careful way to bring the level up or down. It is a precision +- 0.7dB. So you can adjust precisely the level that you want to listen. Yes, I know, it is annoying...and there is no way to take this odd noise off.

Happy listening!
My speakers (Infinity) have a very low sensitivity of 82dB and I clearly kept hearing the noise when switching to another set of resistors.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MLAS wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:57 pm My speakers (Infinity) have a very low sensitivity of 82dB and I clearly kept hearing the noise when switching to another set of resistors.
Was it static or a quick click between volume settings? A quick click is pretty normal. "Static" would be unusual.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
MLAS
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by MLAS »

These were static clicks. Couldn´t get rid of them and tried German Deoxit contactcleaner variant 'Oszillin'.
It didn´t really bother me it was a very good pre-amp which should have gotten a Premier status.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

MLAS,
If you find the way to suppress that odd noises coming from the volume relays, please tell us. Even Mr. Jeff says that those noises are a normal behavior of the preamp volume control. All these days CJ preamps uses these volume type control.

Here is a replay to me from Mr Jeff Fischel...

The attenuator employs 12 double pole double throw relays , at the exact multiples of 10,20,30, etc., all 12 relays are activated at the same time. It is common to hear a “tick” noise thru the speakers at these display intervals. This is a result of the relay tapping on the grid of the tube. Sometimes this noise can be reduced by replacing the 6922 tube , but the noise will never completely go away. The static sound heard at display settings of 10,20,20, etc. is odd. I would recommend visually inspecting all of the attenuator relays and resistors solder connections.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
MLAS
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by MLAS »

Hi Roberto,

That will explain why there's no solution for it.
It emenates from the design. Premier 7 and 10 will have the same behaviour then.

Thanks for this informative post.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

MLAS wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:20 am Hi Roberto,

That will explain why there's no solution for it.
It emenates from the design. Premier 7 and 10 will have the same behaviour then.

Thanks for this informative post.
It is a part of the CJ charm. Admin has pointed out that the clicks give him audible feedback when the display isn’t visible from his position, so he’s characterized the click click click as useful/beneficial in his circumstance.

It does not affect the actual musical sound, so there’s no harm in it. But it is unique among high end preamps. Even others who use a ladder instead of a pot don’t click click click as volume is changed.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Both my old 17LS and 16LS2 made that click/clack sound although I heard it from the preamps only not also from my speakers. Initially with the 17LS I found it distracting but in short order I got to depend on it as an auditory cue which pretty much eliminated having to look at the preamp. Plus, c'mon, how often do you change volume to begin with? In my case, at least, not all that often
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is an audible click as well on my PV-14L (although only from the preamp and not the speakers).

I think this is a "CJ quirk." Certainly not harmful to any of the equipment.
-admin