Patricia Barber

Anything you can hear or see.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Patricia Barber

Post by AnotherJohnson »

At one of the launch events for Wilson’s new Sasha V speakers a listener brought up an event in Patricia Barber’s Companion album that surprised him. It has been beaten to death in some other threads… and I have to take the blame for that because I became a primary OCD listener, trying different speakers, electronics, cables, streaming services and the like. I was fascinated the way that the sonic character of this event was rendered under different streaming and playback circumstances.

With that said, I’d like to draw attention to the whole album. It is a live recording of an audience attended performance at a club. There were two sets, but only the first set seems to have been released (in September of 1999).

I like Melody Gardot because so much of her recorded work is of original compositions. This set by Patricia Barber is also of her own compositions. It includes a couple of very well known works, in particular Use Me, and Black Magic Woman.

I think this must have been an incredible live performance. The back up band rises to a high level at every position. I’m going to check, but I believe that Barber is both singer and pianist, like Diana Krall. Her vocal range is far beyond Krall’s.

Thanks to Joe Appierto for bringing her to my attention after noting the discussion on s PS Audio forum after the Sasha V launch took place.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Patricia Barber

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The rest of the credits:

With John McLean (guitar), Michael Arnopol (bass), Eric Montzka (drums, percussion), Ruben P. Alvarez (percussion); Jason Narducy (vocals) added on one track
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Her follow up album was Nightclub, ironically a studio album. It was released in September 2000. It is a collection of many jazz standards, including Autumn Leaves. Her voice quality is the same … good range, smooth, well executed interpretation, appropriate inflection. If you’re streaming anyway, might as well give this one a listen too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We've been having a heat wave and it's been a little hot in the upstairs main stereo room. I've been listening downstairs on the "budget stereo" and put some Patricia Barber on. She's got a great voice and you can sit and "chill" for for hours listening to her.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’ve been listening to more of her work. A recent album called “Clique” is surprisingly good. I expected it to show her vocal aging over two decades since “Companion” and “Nightclub”, but was pleased that she still has exceptionally good range and control.