Tone and “another Jeff”

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Tone and “another Jeff”

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This is from Kevin Deal’s Saturday morning “news” feed from Upscale Audio. Upscale is NA importer for Prima Luna.

I was surprised that JD let his name be used in this way.

"It’s here and it’s fantastic," writes Jeff Dorgay in his in-depth review.

Back in 2005, a new audio reviewer at The Absolute Sound received his first assignment. He was to cover an NAD integrated amp, but that fell through, so he got to write about the new PrimaLuna ProLogue One tube integrated amp.
"The review was a success," wrote Jeff Dorgay 20 years later, "cementing the PrimaLuna brand and my audio reviewing career – though I didn’t know it quite yet."
Jeff, the newbie reviewer, went on to found TONE Publications, raising the bar for hi-fi journalism with its exquisitely photographed products, in-depth reviews, and lifestyle coverage. He bought his review sample of the ProLogue One, which has famously stayed with him for nearly 20 years. As the founder of TONE, Jeff can get his hands on pretty much any audio gear he wants to, whether for long-term loans or at industry pricing and yet he has held onto his PrimaLuna amp, noting how even in 2005 and at $1,905, it was "insanely inexpensive" for an amp of its quality.
As good as they were, PrimaLuna amps have become ever better, and Jeff now uses a pair of PrimaLuna EVO 400 monoblocks as reference amplifiers. All this is to say when Jeff gets his hands on something new from PrimaLuna, he has extremely high expectations because he's never been let down.
"A Master of Rendering Three-Dimensional Space"

Jeff Dorgay and Chris Harr put the PrimaLuna EVO 100 Phonostage through a mind-boggling variety of phono situations, finding out how far they could push the unit.
They praise its warm, organic sound and note how it remains unflustered even during complex pieces. As Jeff points out, while $4,000 is no longer crazy money for a phonostage, it's still a considerable outlay, and yet, he considers the EVO Phono "more than worthy of an Exceptional Value Award for 2023."
Between Jeff and Chris, they are sure to have covered a table, cartridge, and amp combination that will give you a good idea of how the EVO 100 will work for you. Read the review here.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Tone and “another Jeff”

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It was pointed out that the link to the review is broken in the post above. This one works (If you’re interested in the PL phono stage. Jeff D likes it quite well).

https://www.tonepublications.com/review ... 100-phono/

I just finished David Hazeltine’s Waltz for Debby album. Loved it.

I’m giving Patricia Barber’s Companion album another full play through right now. If you play it too, crank it up to fully enjoy that glorious bass solo at the start of the second track. 8-)
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh yeah! Patricia Barber- Companion, outstanding!

Are you playing a digital version or the LP?

I've got both but prefer the LP, the depth and extension of dynamics is far superior. However, on most of her other albums, the digital playback is just as good.
RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

https://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/vie ... php?t=2743

My vinyl system is quite special. From the Etna Lambda to the up to date LP12 and Reference Phono 3, it’s significantly better than I’ve ever heard in demos. You know it set the bar very high for my view of successful audiophile level streaming.

With that said, it is a rare mediocre stream here these days. But there are still occasional clunkers from the vinyl pile.

I’m pretty much done with the vinyl vs digital discussion. Both are trying to sound like music. I’m finally there. The 911 mk3/Sasha DAWs make nearly everything a treat to hear. And this is with the AQ William Tell Zeros. I am impatiently waiting for the Thunderbird Zeros to get back with their new terminations.

I’ve learned a lot by playing here … much of it just due to the intellectual stimulation of thinking about the problems. It has been fun.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Listened to a little Patricia Barber yesterday as well. I find her voice very soothing.

I agree with AJ that we shouldn't get too caught up with which is superior, vinyl or digital. They are different mediums. Just concentrate on the music and you can't go wrong.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.