CJ's true work of ART! It's a passion nothing else.

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

CJ's true work of ART! It's a passion nothing else.

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Well maties, I finally made it back.
It was a very tiresome journey, I just hate long haul flights, can't stand it! The service was great and all that but after 3.5hrs I started getting leg cramps and passing too much gas... even though I stood up walked around for about an hour it didn't help. Plus my big butt was always in the way for the drinks trolley to pass through or if someone wanted to use the loo. Spending quality time with pops was well worth it and he was really surprised to see us! That was the plan. I dearly miss him though, I also miss the warmth and culture of our people, which you will never find in Aus. It's a completely different planet but this is our home now. Hasn't changed much since I last visited in 2012 but Spore truly has! It's vibrant as usual and they thrive on duty free!

There were quite a number of top tier private demos I had, which I could make a movie out of but I'll stick to the core topic. Just to mention: the Diptyque ribbon panels by the French team, driven by Jadis Mk2 80 monoblocks were superb!!! It really makes a wonderful addition when driven properly, and especially high performance speakers. That addition is all about dynamic swings, limitless extensions and start - stop acceleration my goodness! The best part is the Diptyque panels aren't too pricey either. No where near Alsyvox or the Clarisys line and still perform exquisitely!
So, I can confirm that if you're looking for top flight options in top line panels, Alsyvox, Clarisys and Genesis are always available but for a fraction of that price, I sincerely believe Diptyque takes the podium. This for sure will be on my next short list, so it's not Apogee's as far as I'm concerned.

Some of the other combos I really enjoyed were the Dartzeel driving Alsyvox and the Solution gear driving Magico's Another fabulous experience was CH Precision driving Focal. This particular set-up also had the top of the line VAC Statements but no Genesis Tributes though... looks like by the time I got there they were sold, I don't know. Overall, top flight stuff without a doubt and very pricey even though it's supposed to be duty free. Add shipping and handling charges plus other costs insurance... it's a BIG spend. I was surprised though to see many well known gear quoted at nearly half the price of what I'd pay in Aus... so that part was very very tempting but the added shipping costs and our customs duties is not an easy gig.

So this particular set-up I know extremely well and my good mate has been adding all sorts of gear to his collection, having the Alsyvox, and ML Statements parked in another room, it was a full CLX & BF212 sub set-up. Had two BF212's, one per channel and also included a Reel to Reel deck by Teac. There were a few others by Revox and Teac but that R2R source was something awe-inspiring!

The ART108A's matched with the ART88 is probably that perfect combination money can buy in terms of pre-power finesse! It doesn't get any better than that, and it easily surpassed my benchmark of 40% in improvement, no doubt.
Having all the glory and wonderful presentation in full 3D holographic detail and bliss, there's one major factor I noticed. Sometimes on certain recordings, background tunes, such as brass, piano or strings or other instruments aren't that profound. They're there but sort of linger in the background and sound bit thin or just plain present. I'm not sure if this is the source, cables or anything or the gear... not really sure. Anyway, with the ART amps, these background tunes are all there! It has a full lifelike presence and doesn't sound thin or flat. It also varies according to the tune and has superb effects in terns of dynamics or transients when called for. Overall, just a joy to listen to, fabulous 👌

Then of course there's the most neutral part of these ART amps, they completely get out of the way, nothing seems artificially enhanced or sugar coated, just pure pure music. I'm very glad I demoed fabulous recordings, both on R2R and vinyl. The TT used at the time was the Michell Orb, one of my favourites of all time. A superb TT for the price. Obviously it all depends on the components and cartridges etc., I guess sky's the limit here.

The Class A power of the ART108A's is really tops! This is serious Class A power, doesn't flinch one bit and I'm surprised how JF manages to incorporate the KT88 in this particular type of Class A topology. Most KT88 configs I've heard are either soft or very relaxing but certainly not these! They have all the power and brute force typical of KT120's or KT150's but I guess with a velvet touch that makes these amplifiers so lovable. Just glorious!

Then there's the outstanding ART88, outstanding is truly an understatement, I really don't have any words to describe it. The ART88 is truly by far the best in Class I've heard to date! It's all tube design can very easily be matched with the ultra-high-end and it doesn't cost as much as the ultra-high-end. So I guess, if you're financially sound and can afford it at this level, this is one SUPERB preamp! Mighty finest SOTA.

I'm thinking that those background tunes coming out in full swing must be a factor of the ART88... don't know.
At first glance, it's not much to look at compared to the GAT, ACT2 or CT5... those preamps look like spaceships, really special ART Deco. Only when you get really close to the ART88 and touch & feel, oh boy! We're in for a fabulous night. I was up listening till 4am and spent the night then it was all done & dusted, we flew out. Then I realised, caught in the glorious moments ... I didn't take a single damn photo! Uh, must have been too busy enjoying those finest tunes!

As for me, at this stage I've achieved what I was after. There are quite a number of areas I could further improve on and then spend another fortune and be broke. Rather, focus on life and health in general, family and loved ones and at the same time enjoy the music. As of now, it's mighty good enough for me. So I'll pass on this particular upgrade but I must say though, it was very very tempting 🤔...😅

Cheers to all and keep safe.
Woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ's true work of ART! It's a passion nothing else.

Post by admin »

Wow. It must have been an incredible experience,... even if the traveling is a hassle.

So many great options. Definitely some big ticket items but the sky is the limit in this hobby.

Interesting comment on the more traditional look of the newest CJ line. They definitely did get "spaceship" looking around the 2000's era. Jeff seems to like a more simple (perhaps refined look). The GAT and my beloved ART amps were the last of the avant garde looking units. I will have to say that the ART88 looks really gorgeous to me. I like how they extended the champagne metal to the top of the unit. It adds that extra bit of class.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Cheers Admin!

Yes, it's a truly remarkable achievement by JF. I also think he didn't do this solely on his own, rather based on the guidance from messers C & J, and all those wonderful Premier series amplifiers, must have paved the way forwards.

Looking at it though from a holistic perspective, tube amps in general are highly flawed. Their design has come a long way since the early 50's & 60's, and now we have modern production and more reliable designs. However, I firmly believe that the highend SS design surpasses tube design by a fair margin.

Makes, such as Dartzeel, CH Precision, Solution, Burmester, Dan D's designs, Pass Labs, Vitus Audio, Lamm, MBL, and others in this top tier category are phenomenal gear! When partnered with top level tube preamps, such as the ART88, ARC Ref10, VAC Statements or VTL's, Lamm, CAT, that performance level goes up a notch further. Although, all these makes have their own preamps, adding tube front-end to SS power amps is a unique combination in experiencing the highest level of musicality. It's an extraordinary sound.

Some of the most expensive tube gear, Aries Cerat, Destination Audio, Kondo Audio Note, and those very expensive SET (single ended triodes), are amongst the very best. However, they cost a bloody fortune and not all of them are even capable of driving a vast array of speakers. Only a handful can do the driving properly that is. Therefore, when considering tube gear, especially power amps, they HAVE to be matched perfectly with the speakers, otherwise it's a half baked cake. There's no denying it!

After this trip, I realised how advanced SS designs have become. From the first designs of Bryston and McIntosh to the complicated designs of Vitus and CH Precision, these makes have made some remarkable progress. Their service and customer support is also top notch, can't be faulted and they stand by their customer service, regardless of location.

So, looking at this level of performance in a highend audio industry, JF had to offer a newer and better ART series, not just another glorified tube amp. When you audition the ART27, ART108A, ART150, ART300 and ART88, there's something very different in these amplifiers that stick out straight away! That design element is their Class A bias circuitry, which has been taken to the max.

CJ's previous Premier series gear has a certain amount of Class A bias including the older MF series amplifiers and more in the Premier350. Although the Class A bias was limited, switching over to Class AB allowed for a softer approach, had all the wonderful warmth and was very relaxing and satisfying to listen to for endless hours. That was it! Now, with these latest ART series, that circuitry has been modded to allow for a much higher Class A bias, and I believe it's this Class A bias that's contributing to its extraordinary performance.

In my opinion, JF had to offer these ART amps with a radical approach, which does deliver 110! However, it comes at a pretty penny and this is where those SS designs will continue to forge ahead. Tubes are getting tricky, it still has its hassles, suppliers are moody, stocks are short and prices aren't getting any better, they're getting worse! Over here, finding the right techie to service such gear is now becoming rarer than the Tasmanian Tiger (which is extinct!)

Towards the near future, I will be looking at SS once again but will definitely keep my monoblocks just for sentimental value. No one will understand and appreciate the work & upgrades done on them in order for me to sell them at the right value. In most audiophile terms, my monoblocks are considered vintage and will only fetch a couple grand. Although their performance ratio maybe in the category of 10grand or so, no one in proper frame of mind would pay that kind of money for vintage gear.

I once said, no matter what type of SS design... tube design will outlast SS, simply because the tubes need replacing and once done, they're good to go. This is why I intend on keeping what I've got, and I'll get a few SS gear and see how long it lasts. Either way, one thing is certain, I'll be enjoying those finest tunes!

Woof! RJ
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

It all depends on the SS. Not all SS is made alike.

I give your the Tonkin THF-51S SIT ( static induction ) transistors.

Triode sound with solid state... should last forever.. until the caps wear out or the Sun goes supernova ( that's what Nelson Pass claims )... ;)

Both my PV9 and, now, ET3, both with the teflon caps ( SE upgrade for the ET3) play extremely well with the DIY FW SIT-3 ). You just need reasonable speakers. Heck, I actually plugged my Maggie 1.7s into that amp combo and was floored at how well they sounded -that was the PV9.

( Note: The sound of the PV9 with Teflon upgrades is completely different from the "old classic" PV9. It is far more "modern".

IMHO, with SITs and class A you can easily get those 35 wpc... keep the tubes in the preamp... if you want active amplification.

Oh, Mac... sorry, no way... I am just not impressed. If you're gonna do SS, if you must do SS and need real power (ie: Maggies) then you either go for an old Aleph 2, or a Stasis class A amp. For SS, it must be Class A. Sure, tubes get away with AB... but for the real, REAL deal, it has to be Class A Triode sound. I don't find the Macs to have much "passion".. just big hunks of iron with big meters and flashing hardware meant to impress your surgeon neighbor.

You want passion... OK, I admit that CJ does have it. I think ARC sort of lost it on its drive to the top. Class A triode... yep.

But, if you can handle DIY, or get lucky and score a FW SIT amp -talk about rare- with the SIT if you can get away with it powerwise otherwise... if you need more power... well.... you got to go HUGE tubes.

(Note: I'm having a guy build me a DIY FW SA25 clone with SIT... it's the equivalent of the FW SIT4. Slightly different circuit, less MOSFET, more SIT. )

Oh... Farts On A Plane... is that a new movie? :o
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Good stuff tonye.

I've had my fair game with the mighty Threshold Stasis SA/12e- 800w monoblocks with massive Class A bias driving my former Apogee Diva's. Back then we ordered the full Premier line of CJ (Prem 11, Prem 12 & Prem8A). The Diva's were bi-amped with those huge Thresholds on the LF and Prem8's on the mids & highs. The Statis SA/12e driving the Diva's full range for effortlessly done but the midrange was harsh. In fact too harsh on certain recordings, so that's when we decided to use CJ's Premier line on the mids & highs. It was much better, more tolerant and listenable, however after a while, I decided to run the Diva's full range with just the Prem8A's, that was more like it! Everyone in my crew agreed.

But that was back then, and now SS has come a long way.
Having spent a considerable amount of time with CH Precision, Solution, Aries Cerat and Dartzeel, I believe for true value for money, it's Pass Labs. Especially their XA series amps. I'm leaning more towards the XA160.8 monos although the Vitus SS-103 is superb on stats but that's a big spend. So I'll wait it out... no hurry at all. Looking at perhaps another 10yrs or so. Hopefully by then, my main tube supplier will have stock and be less moody.

Until then, keep those tubes glowing! Oh for the love of tooobs.
Cheers, RJ
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

I assume you have seen the XA160.8 amps in the metal? They are HUGE... I mean, HUGE. They make the Mac look "normal"... The new XA25 is interesting in that it uses the new power MOSFET. It is likely the future for PL amps, but I think they'll keep selling the old ones until they run out of their inventory of FET power transistors.

I wanted to grab an old ARC VT200.... then I saw it, put my hands on it...

My DIY Aleph 2 monoblocks are big too... 5U boxes with handles front and back... but I specified the aluminum chassis and that makes a HUGE difference. The amps are big but the only heavy things are the transformer and the heat sinks..

Oh... the Divas and the Threshold SA/12e... hehe... if you look at the DIYAudio web page you'll find out that people, including Nelson Pass, are making upgraded boards for them.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... 2e.293128/

The Prem8s drove the Divas full range, hmm... didn't those things go down to 1ohm?

BTW- I'm keeping the ARC D70-II. Recently had it recapped and with new Svetlanas. I kick myself for having sold the other one -their serial numbers were very close so I could biamp speakers with them. Dumb move on my part.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, Nelson's Aleph series had large trannies and a good array of heat sinks. I remember back in my student days in the UK, reading through HFN&R (hifi news & reviews) and What HiFi, two of the most popular audio mags during that time, going through the reviews and coming across the Aleph series amps was always inspiring. Good stuff!

Although the Diva's were an absolute nightmare to drive, CJ's Prem8A's had no issues. They gripped the Diva's really well enough to drive full range, although the Stasis SA/12e gripped the Diva's like a giant squashing a Coke can..., effortlessly done. The only issue with those huge Threshold's was their midrange, very jarring...especially on the Diva's. Whereas on the Prem8A's it was far more pleasant, easing to the ears. I guess it had a softer approach being all tubes.

Later on we setup the Thresholds with Infinity's IRS 1B's, which I then sold off as one full system (preamp + servo control unit + power amps). I think that owner whom I sold it to back in 97, still has that very system but the Infinity's needed serious work. Multiple tweeters (Emits) and midrange units (Emims) strated to deteriorate due to tropical climes... and no parts available.

Yes, I've had the XA160.8's in for a home trial, they were outstanding! The XA200.8 is even better but that has serious power in Class A, which I really don't need. Although these are large SS amps, they're not as big as those mighty Stasis SA/12e's. Those are massive! The mothership of all power amps.
Speaking of which, the current line of Pass gear, the XS300's are another massive affair. These are 4 chassis designs with separate power supplies housed in their dedicated casings. I've heard these driving big Genesis speakers and the ML Neoliths. That was yet on another level.
In fact on this last trip to highend land... I was truly hoping to experience the Genesis Tributes with top level gear but it didn't quite happen. I think the very first pair to come in was already commissioned and sold. Highend items over there seem to go pretty quickly, they certainly don't stick around.

Anyway, I'm no longer in this sort of high-end game, I've spent way more than enough! Just enjoying the humble tunes and looking forward to the downsize project.

Cheers, RJ