ET 3 : Wich side is hot and which cold on elecricity input dwell

The PV-1 to now...
PopSweden
Regular
Regular

ET 3 : Wich side is hot and which cold on elecricity input dwell

Post by PopSweden »

Wich side is hot and which cold on elecricity input dwell on the ET 3 preamp.
There is 3 pins . the upper is ground/ earth
then it is one on left side and one is on right side.

I open it and tried to figure out there.

I used a phase pen and i connect so the brown wire were elwcrified and the blue wire was neutral,
So I belive the left side is hot and right cold / neutral
that is the standard for Japanese product s and Eurupean products, if the dwell looks like a roof / A with ground above,

I read American products can be both . so its tricky to now which side is hot and which side is cold.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ET 3 : Wich side is hot and which cold on elecricity input dwell

Post by admin »

I thought the wiring for IEC is standard as shown here: https://wiert.me/2016/12/02/c13c14-wiri ... tralearth/

Is yours a US or European version although I wouldn't think it would matter other than the voltage settings?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
PopSweden
Regular
Regular

Post by PopSweden »

Thank you .My ET 3 product is bougtht in Porugal
All Eurepean and Japanese products are made like your post.
I read Americans HI Fi products can be constructed like N E L. if Earth is on the top.
It is important we now were the phase are. so I can plug it in correctly.
I open it and when I plug ut in western style. The brown wire from the socket will be live.
It was tryck to find out since wires are connected vertically on backside.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My understanding is that the plug wires are standard and the only thing that gets changed is inside wiring for 110v to 220v conversion. In other words, if the unit is wired for 220v, then the standard external plug configuration should be correct no matter what. Has the unit had any work done on it or unchanged from the factory?
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I agree with admin. The ET3 is a modem design and would follow the standard. On an ungrounded plug, it might be a guess. The old CJ solution to that problem was to plug in both ways, and choose the way that sounded better.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:58 pm I agree with admin. The ET3 is a modem design and would follow the standard. On an ungrounded plug, it might be a guess. The old CJ solution to that problem was to plug in both ways, and choose the way that sounded better.
I think the plug on the back of the ET3 is standard IEC class 13/14, so presuming nobody messed up the wiring inside, the neutral and hot (even if there is no ground) would be set where the plug can only be put in one way. Again, I don't think the question is which one is hot/neutral but just confirming that nobody rewired the internals out of spec. If not, then any IEC complaint plug will automatically be correct as you can't put an IEC class 13/14 plug in upside down.

EDIT: I found a good picture of the back of the ET3 without the power connector plugged in. It's a standard 3 prong IEC plug with ground. You literally can't put the plug in wrong.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

From admin’s link

Facing the C14 male side that has pins:
POSITION LEAD
Left L Live
Middle ⏚/PE Protective Earth/Ground
Right N Neutral
PopSweden
Regular
Regular

Post by PopSweden »

Then Conrad jognson is built like international Prea mps and amps and CDs are./ In old days American products were opposite. Left side was neutral and right side live.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you use an IEC socket, you are going to comply with the standard. So I don't think you are going to have a problem.
-admin
PopSweden
Regular
Regular

Post by PopSweden »

If I open the product the wires are connected vertically not horizontally on the backside,, Its Verry strange,
So if it correctly connected the brown wire shall be live.
I wish CJ had marked up the male plug so I could use a phase pen so the all products are connected at same phase.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can kind of see the wires on the following picture, are yours not the same?

-admin
PopSweden
Regular
Regular

Post by PopSweden »

Yes but all products must be connected on same phase. That's the problem.
If you open it the cabels are connected vericaly

Green on top. then Bluee and last brown.

but I don't know if the brown are concerted to left or to the right
I cant post phitis here.

The wires are connected vertically on backside, impossible ti find out
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm sorry. Maybe I am not understanding what exactly this "vertical" connection is? Here is what I would do as an alogrythm:

1) Is the unit stock (ie, not modded or altered by a third part)?
If Yes,.. you are done and you can plug in any IEC power cable.
If No,,.. go to 2.

2) Was the connection to the IEC altered?
If No,.. you are done and you can plug in any IEC power cable.
If Yes,.. you have to confirm that they did not mess up the pin configuration. If they did, this would be an overt mistake on their part. You can test the ground pin very easily by continuity of the pin to the case. I would look at the picture I posted. Looks like the wires close to the transformer on the bottom are going into the Left pin of the IEC connector (ie Live).

Can you post a picture of the IEC connector back (from inside the unit)?
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Classic case of paralysis by analysis.

The ET3 is a recent design, it uses standard power cords, and it was sold all over the world. It is not going to be some dumba$$ orphan wiring scheme.

In 1985 the units were floating ground and hardwired in place. There should be no issues with something three decades more recent.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Mmm... ET3/ SE, just use a standard IEC type power cord designed for your country, your voltage, that's it! Make sure your ET3 is rated at your country's voltage, it will be clearly marked on the back. Now just plug in, power up and listen to some fine tunes!

*make sure the power cord your using also corresponds to your AC outlets in your house! Obviously sounds like something else is not matching here, looks like you're trying to plug in a different type of power cord into your AC outlet or power board... or you're smoking too much gunja!

Which is hot & which is cold, uh?

My beer is usually cold and my coffee is usually hot!
🍻 RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’m beginning to wonder if this is an attempt to rewire an ET3 for Sweden. Maybe a parallel import where the official importer isn’t interested in helping.

Perhaps the problem is on the socket in the unit. Maybe it’s been unwired and now there’s the need to rewire it, but no picture to follow.

Are the power supply caps marked +/-? If yes, if you can, follow the + path back to the power cord socket, and wire per the standard … no?