Dac Choices abound

Spinning CD’s in that DR1 connected to a D/A-2b? Talk about it here.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Dac Choices abound

Post by jimbones »

OK so I am starting this thread here because we were going off topic in the preamp thread. I demoed a Lampi Baltic 4 vs my Auralic Vega (original) and the Vega trounced the Lampi. I was not expecting that
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dac Choices abound

Post by admin »

Auralic makes some nice gear. You should be aware that their controller app is iOS only (no android). Probably not a big deal for a dedicated app but if you ever want to use their streamer then it may be an issue.

The Baltic 4 is a very different beast being a tube based DAC. If you liked the sound of the Vega over the Baltic, I would recommend not wasting your time with tube based DACs. There will be a much bigger difference in sound on tube vs non-tube based dacs than between different SS dacs.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

admin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:21 am Auralic makes some nice gear. You should be aware that their controller app is iOS only (no android). Probably not a big deal for a dedicated app but if you ever want to use their streamer then it may be an issue.

The Baltic 4 is a very different beast being a tube based DAC. If you liked the sound of the Vega over the Baltic, I would recommend not wasting your time with tube based DACs. There will be a much bigger difference in sound on tube vs non-tube based dacs than between different SS dacs.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing. Next up are the Holo May and RME Dacs.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not sure what your price range is but I would check out the PS Audio Directstream DAC and the Schiit Yggdrasil+ as possibilities.

jimbones, remind me what you want to use as sources for the DAC?
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

admin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:00 am Not sure what your price range is but I would check out the PS Audio Directstream DAC and the Schiit Yggdrasil+ as possibilities.

jimbones, remind me what you want to use as sources for the DAC?
For Digital I use a Roon Rock/Qobuz set up. I also have a CD player transport (Emo ERC-3)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is the Rock installed on a general PC? Are you keen on keeping that setup or would consider a dedicated streamer?
-admin
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

admin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:00 pm Is the Rock installed on a general PC? Are you keen on keeping that setup or would consider a dedicated streamer?
No I have a dedicated Intel Nuc that is my streamer. I store music locally on a NAS or stream Qobuz.