Phillips PCC88 or Gold Lion 6922

The PV-1 to now...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Phillips PCC88 or Gold Lion 6922

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Putting tubes in a DAC is beyond the pale. Tube rolling in a DAC is for the hopelessly lost. On the other hand, if you’re looking for euphonious distortion, a tubed DAC is the right path.

There is no way that I could stand a tubed DAC from CJ, ARC, and certainly not the Polish Lampizator. I want a DAC with both feet firmly rooted modern solid state and both ears firmly rooted in full spectrum dynamic music.

But obviously YMMV. FWIW, I read recently that Lampizator is discontinuing several of their models and that deals can be had. I’d take one for free.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've owned a number of DACs including one tube DAC. And AJ is right. A tube DAC is kind of thing of its own. If you are looking for a clear digital signal without distortion, then a tube DAC is not the way to go. It pulls the sound back from the digital to the analog. It's a unique sound and you specifically would want this "coloration" and will be very disappointed if that is not specifically what you are looking for. Now with that said they can sound very pleasant and musical, but I think for the vast majority of people, that is not what they are looking for when shopping for a DAC. I will also say that if you like the sound of the Holo Audio May DAC and are trying to get something to sound similar, you do not want to consider a tube DAC.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

roberto wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:09 pm
admin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:12 pm
roberto wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:22 pm I had a problem with my HOLO DAC, and went back to my Exasound DAC. The truth is, I am not missing the Holo very much...this Exasound dac is very good. Of course the Holo May Kte is a better DAC.
I was not aware of this. What happened?
I don't know, it fails to turn on. Only red LED on. You can hear the relays working, but it won't turn on. I wrote to Kitsune and Tim immediately response and in a couple of emails he is sending the complete MCU unit. He said this might be the problem and an easy task to do.

I think I was too soft when I said that the Exasound was a nice DAC, and it is, but belongs to a much lower story than the Holo. The difference is the stage, the holographic sound, the timber and the size of the musical instruments. The Holo is sweet and mellow, with a stage that it is breath taking. I am really missing it. Sorry for my description above. I had tried other brands, but the Holo is a clear winner. Had the Denafrips Terminator Plus, and it has a lot of definition, but the easy going of the Holo is what I do like more.

Have a pleasant listening.
A buddy of mine has the Holo,maybe I can encourage him to loan it to me lol
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jimbones wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:57 am A buddy of mine has the Holo,maybe I can encourage him to loan it to me lol
If you can get your hands on one to audition it in your system, that would be really a big advantage in your decision making process. When it comes time to make the final decision, the level of evidence goes from: written reviews < audio store demo < home demo.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that's a fair point. Tubes in DACs aren't the best design.
However, the way Lampi designs their DACs are truly unique. Obviously I wasn't a believer at all, looking at specs, design...that sort of thing. Until I actually listened to one, it was a totally unique experience, especially on a very well config of highend gear. It's that sort of sound that stays in your head for life! So until I got the chance to audition, I never knew how good they were.

Our Aus Lampi distributor is not having any sales, that must be a US market thing. Over hear, their prices are not too shabby compared to the other ultra-high-end DACs, so I would consider them a bargain. The only plausible factor that I noticed the difference being positive is when such a device is installed in a back-end SS system. This is where the preamp and other gear, phonostage are all tube, and the power amp is SS. Adding the Lampi DAC seemed to bring out a more life like scale. The tangible effects from the soundstage were very real.

However, on a full tube based system (both front-end & back-end all tube) adding the Lampi definitely added more color. That color maybe a good thing or a bad thing, it all depends on how the owner wishes to enjoy their music.

After trying out several models in my system, which is full tube based, I really did enjoy the Lampi DACs, there's no denying that. However, my rationale for the Esoteric gear was to get something on a higher level of digital playback and an all-in-one digital system. I really didn't want to add more tubes into the system and then have a hard time finding the weak tube when due for replacement... plus I still believe simpler the better.

I will say this though, perhaps if I put together a nice pair of refurbed Apogee's, and used a Pass Labs SS pre-power then I'd use a Lampi DAC. Another aspect to the Lampi's strengths is when installed in a system comprising of ML stats or panels for that matter. Two systems that I auditioned comprised of Alsyvox and CLX's, and this is where the Lampi really presented itself supremely. In both systems though, the power amps were all SS.

At the end of the day, just try one out otherwise you'll never know. We could go on debating which types of DACs are better than the other... and even make a movie out of it! What suits you best is the one you want, regardless of what others say. Your personal preference is the ultimate test.

Cheers and good luck in finding your preferred DAC.
RJ
PopSweden
Regular
Regular

Post by PopSweden »

Philips ECC88 are regardes as good tubes.
I replaced the ruian tube in by ET 3 to a Telefunken
PopSweden
Regular
Regular

Post by PopSweden »

I replaced a noisy electro harminix 6920 in my preamp to a Telefunken ECC 88, it sounded better, Philips have made 6920 and many likes them..
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Philips originally developed the 6DJ8 (ECC88) in the Netherlands. Other companies such as Siemens and Telefunken soon introduced their own versions and variants such as the 6922 (E88CC) and 7308 (E188CC).
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets