Premier 11 (Not A or XS) Plate Fuse Blown

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Premier 11 (Not A or XS) Plate Fuse Blown

Post by mstrshikadance »

Hey all.

I have been regularly using my CJ Premier 11 amp with no problem for the last several months. It has Tung Sol 6550s.

I bought a new piece of furniture and disconnected my entire system. I also removed all my tubes from my P11 so I could properly dust and wipe it down (did not use water or anything, just a dry cloth)

When I plugged everything back in and turn my amp back on, I noticed the right channel fuse LED was lit. First time!

I don't know if I plugged all tubes back into the same slot they were plugged into before. Could have been shuffled.

Does that LED indicate the fuse was blown or that a tube has gone bad? None of the Tube Bias lights are on.

What would you all suggest as the best way to evaluate the situation?

Bummer that I don't have a backup BBS-3/4 fuse and I can't find one at any local store.

I do have spare 6550c Svetlanas but I have not been able to properly bias them, they run RED hot.

Thanks!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Premier 11 (Not A or XS) Plate Fuse Blown

Post by AnotherJohnson »

mstrshikadance wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:07 pm When I plugged everything back in and turn my amp back on, I noticed the right channel fuse LED was lit. First time!

I don't know if I plugged all tubes back into the same slot they were plugged into before. Could have been shuffled.

Does that LED indicate the fuse was blown or that a tube has gone bad? None of the Tube Bias lights are on.

What would you all suggest as the best way to evaluate the situation?

Bummer that I don't have a backup BBS-3/4 fuse and I can't find one at any local store.

I do have spare 6550c Svetlanas but I have not been able to properly bias them, they run RED hot.

Thanks!
IIRC, the red light just means the fuse is blown. But it probably blew because a tube failed. It can happen from handling (your R&R). It can be random. It could be coincidental.

If the Svetlanas won’t bias and are red plating, throw them out. They’re dead and you will regret using them as spares if they fail in use.

Best way to evaluate? Make sure your tubes are plugged in correctly (no bent pins, proper space). Buy a five pack of fuses. Try one. If it blows, there’s something else wrong. Tubes are low hanging fruit … watch them when you power up. If a tube glows bright as the fuse blows, it’s a good candidate for replacement.

IT IS DANGEROUS TO WORK ON AN AMP. YOU CAN BE BURNED, YOU CAN DAMAGE THE AMP, AND VOLTAGES ARE HIGH ENOUGH TO KILL. IF YOU’RE NOT TRAINED, JUST SEND/TAKE THE AMP IN FOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICE.

Good luck with your project.

Your spare Svetlanas may be old.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agree with AJ's advice. Get some new fuses. Maybe flip the tubes to the other side to see if they blow the fuse there. If it does, I would just buy an entire set of new tubes. If tube prices now are restrictive, you can just get one to replace the faulty tube.

If it's not the tube, a more thorough inspection may be needed.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mstrshikadance »

Thanks for the update. I will report back once the fuses arrive in the mail.