KT150 update

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

KT150 update

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I reached out to a major KT150 importer today to try to get the time frame on expected availability.

It’s a good news - bad news answer.

The good news is that the Russian factory was unable to get suitable glass, so production ceased. That problem has now been solved and they’re back in production.

The bad news is that shipping of orders to the USA is complicated, and there is uncertainty about exactly when orders will begin arriving again.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KT150 update

Post by admin »

Hmm. Do you know if the same issues are present with KT120s?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I would expect so, but I did not specifically ask about them.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Checked into KT120s. They’re even harder to come by than KT 150s. In fact, some guys are going back to 6550s, and even those are being limited by sellers.

I suspect these larger power tubes were all impacted by the lack of glass, so going forward, if shipping is resolved, they should all start showing up as Summer unfolds.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

It's not going to get any sweeter... at the G7 summit, which was held just now, all the leaders decided to impose further sanctions on Russia.

There was supposed to be a Quad meeting held in Aus between US, Japan, UK and India but it didn't go through because Joe Biden had to head back home to sort out the debt crisis in the US. Instead they met in Japan, and all of them agreed to impose some sort of sanctions as well.

Obviously all of this is not going to help audiophiles in ordering tubes for their treasured amplifiers... this particular topic of vacuum tubes isn't a priority item on the G7 agenda.
So us tube lovers need to find other resources. It is what it is.

Cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:51 pm Checked into KT120s. They’re even harder to come by than KT 150s. In fact, some guys are going back to 6550s, and even those are being limited by sellers.

I suspect these larger power tubes were all impacted by the lack of glass, so going forward, if shipping is resolved, they should all start showing up as Summer unfolds.
I should not have sold the used 14 KT120's (I kept only 2 as backups) when I did a full replacement for the ART monoblocks... :(
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:40 am
Obviously all of this is not going to help audiophiles in ordering tubes for their treasured amplifiers... this particular topic of vacuum tubes isn't a priority item on the G7 agenda.
So us tube lovers need to find other resources. It is what it is.
Other resources being Western Electric or Solid State.

I have taken to turning off the main system and listening at the headphone stack when it’s late at night. My goal is to not use the tubes unless I can crank it up and enjoy the louder play. Late at night I try to keep volume levels “respectful” of sleepers.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The problem with Western Electric is that they produce limited tubes. I think currently only the 300b. And they happen to charge $700 a tube. We need some competition in the field to drive prices lower.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:28 am The problem with Western Electric is that they produce limited tubes. I think currently only the 300b. And they happen to charge $700 a tube. We need some competition in the field to drive prices lower.
It goes without saying that if you choose WE, you’ve got a limited selection of amp options.

But at least they’re making the tubes in the USA.

Personally, I would go to solid state.

I do not regret selling my surplus KT120s. I could have been a shark about them, but I was happy to see them go to a good home without gouging the buyer.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

I am very sure that this is a temporary state regarding tubes. We know that Putin's war against Ukraine is the why there are no tubes for the moment. Sharks are all over the world...and of course they are taking advantage of the moment. But I assure you that soon there will be more tubes around and of course with much lower price with the quality that we are accustomed.

My ears have two serious problems. They don't like SS sound and don't like balanced connections for home use. They like the simple connection as single ended and don't the metallic SS sound. My ears had enough of that. Of course I respect the audiophile SS lovers and balanced connection. Your ears and your liking. There no problem with that, right?

My hope that sooner or later the East is going to stop doing the war. There is no dictator on earth that had last over 100 years. Sooner or later he or she must go to hell. The world needs tubes...and there will be tubes again for everybody. Hope this happens very soon.

Happy listening
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

100 years...!!! Tubes only last between 6 - 7 years, might be able to push to 10 without serious degradation but even then, I would like to replace them within their required time so that everything is in proper spec.

Yes, I certainly hope that Putin accidentally falls down a cliff or something like that, otherwise we'd have to wait until the firery Dragon 🐉 arrives from medieval times... that's over 100yrs.

Cheers matey, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

well, time really goes by, and Putin is over 70, so he won't last for ever. I was talking or thinking metaphoric way...it's a saying here in Costa Rica: it won't last 100 year or a body whom can stand it. I just believe that Ukraine is totally devastated and the country will need at least 10 years for recovery from such nonsense war. Sooner or later, must end.

Poland is making tubes, Checoslovaquia also...so there are still some tube factory makers. Because of the political decisions, Russia borders are closed. They are not exporting in the time bean, but they sooner will for sure.

A hug RJ!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah! Good one Robbo mate. Yes, I understand your point... I was just making light of it, especially the 100yr saying. We definitely don't want to see looney Putin around for too long. He's caused such a global disaster, not just Ukraine. The silly bugger has to go or got rid of!

Absolutely correct on the SS gear. Most of them do have a sort of metallic character to their sound. However, there are ones that do sound quite warm and after several hours they really begin to open up nicely; Dartzeel, CH Precision, Vitus and the Pass Labs gear. They're quite pricey though but I guess that's the price we pay for high quality. I've made a shortlist of my top three as of now, this involves price vs performance vs tech/service and customer support:
1. Pass Labs
2. Vitus
3. Dartzeel
All three are excellent in terms of performance and all of them have service centers in Aus. However, only one of them has the full package, which includes a top level of customer support and the pricing is fair, Pass Labs. The other brand I was looking into was McIntosh but I don't like the sound match of Mac gear with CLX's. It doesn't have the agility and control of Pass Labs. Both are very musical and warm sounding after those critical hours but I believe the Pure Class A bias output of the Pass Labs, being higher in Class A, is what derives its excellence.

Well that's in the near future, as for now CJ tooobs it is!
Cheers to tubes, keep them glowing and enjoy those finest tunes.
RJ