PV15 - low gain phono board

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
hsonly
New User
New User

PV15 - low gain phono board

Post by hsonly »

Hello
I am running a PV15. I am looking for further information on this preamplifier. More precisely to the built-in low gain phono board. The operating instructions for the phono board are not very helpful. I need information about the tube assembly, technical data and a usable circuit diagram. Nothing can be found under the circuit diagrams in the download and I haven't found anything in the forum itself either.
Can anyone give me some info on this.

Thanks
Hendrik
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: PV15 - low gain phono board

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This is going to be a tough one. And although the PV15 is very old by electronics standards (having been introduced 18 years ago), it is young compared to many other vintage CJ products.

I know no one wants to hear this, but it is CJ’s intention that if a PV15 needs repairs, then you need to send it to them. If you’re the original owner, you may get a better accommodation than if you are not.

It would be completely out of character for CJ to send schematics or parts out of house. It’s just not going to happen.

FWIW, there is more mystery surrounding the PV15 than any other unit in the PV series. It was designed in an era where they had begun to hybridize, modernize, modularize, and accurize. The switchable resistance phono card concept was relatively new.

In any event, I’m sure you’re not asking about how to set up the phono card because that’s on the CJ web site.

Perhaps if you have some specific questions, like what’s the voltage supposed to be here, or what value should this resistor have, someone like Roberto may have insight.

There is no service manual extant. And there are no publicly available internal CJ documents at all.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

First, welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us.

As AJ mentioned. There is no schematic and you would have to send the unit in to CJ for any servicing.

What specific problem are you having with the PV15, perhaps we can help?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Hendrik,

This is what I have for your PV15. Here explains the use of a MC cartridge type or a MM cartridge. The is no cartridge sensitivity adjustment. Usually the high gain PCB is factory supply.
https://conradjohnson.com/owners-manuals/PV15PHCman.pdf
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

I don't get it... the minimum load impedance is only 200 ohms?

Doesn't that sound a bit on the high side for an MC?

My PV9 has a load impedance of 100 ohms and enough gain to drive even a 0.5 mV MC with little noise.