looking to select a CJ preamp for purchase

The PV-1 to now...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: looking to select a CJ preamp for purchase

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If it’s a real factory authorized name, it will be noted on the back of the unit.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Attn: JB,

the ET5 comes in only one version, it replaced the ACT2 series 1. Thereafter, the ACT2 released version 2 but the ET5 was well received by then. It performed remarkably well. So there was no need to release an ACT2 version 3, CJ just continued with the ET series and moved on towards the ET7 and GATS2.

For the price point and performance capability of the ET5, you'd think it's under-priced.

Partnered with the Prem12's, this pre-power combination will be tops!
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:25 am Attn: JB,

the ET5 comes in only one version, it replaced the ACT2 series 1. Thereafter, the ACT2 released version 2 but the ET5 was well received by then. It performed remarkably well. So there was no need to release an ACT2 version 3, CJ just continued with the ET series and moved on towards the ET7 and GATS2.

For the price point and performance capability of the ET5, you'd think it's under-priced.

Partnered with the Prem12's, this pre-power combination will be tops!
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Oh I see your profile says CT5 SE Ver3. I thought it said ET5. Nevermind lol
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Oh crap, the ET5 is phase inverting. That must be why it sounds strange.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jimbones wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:30 pm Oh crap, the ET5 is phase inverting. That must be why it sounds strange.
Shouldn't be a problem. Just flip the speaker cables.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Correct! And remember to swap both channels, not one.
You swap both the + & - leads on both channels to arrive at an even number of phase inversions.

Since the ET5 inverts phase at its main Outs... you add another phase inversion by swapping speaker leads to equal two. That's an even number, and will contribute to the system being in Absolute Phase. By inverting speaker leads only on one channel will affect in Partial phase, not Absolute Phase.

Once that's done, your ET5 should be sounding tops!
How's it going so far JB?

Cheers, RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Today I did an A/B with my Rogue after leaving the CJ powered on for quite a bit. say 44 hours over the last 72 hours.

The CJ is warmer, more fleshed out mids and deeper/fatter bass. It does not have that last bit of clarity of the Rogue but that may be a false sense of clarity. The Rogue has more high end energy giving spectacular spatial cues but that energy can manifest itself as hash and ringing in the piano. Piano on the Rogue sounds like a toy piano.The CJ is more behaved overall. I would say if I can get just a bit more clarity in the CJ it would be really great. I am going to roll tubes. Maybe the guy gave me a so-so tube. The CJ is the keeper here. I also believe that the CJ is still breaking in, meaning that the guy must have not used it in a while and the caps needed to reform. I say this because it is getting better by the day. Its not the tube because once a tube is warmed up after 2 hours thats it. I'll post updates on the tube rolling. I bought a Reflector 6H23p
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey JB, that's certainly not surprising that the ET5 is settling in... given the fact that it wasn't hardly used.

That Reflector tube 6h32p / 6922 equivalent is a premium tube, and should be performing quite well. Others that I've tried in the ET5 and have been impressed with were mostly be Genalex Gold Lions 6922 and the Phillips version. The Genalex had better bass, with more control and clear bass lines. The Phillips was more closer to the EH version, Erich had a wonderful midrange and extended HF. All three types were fantastic but overall I preferred the Genalex Gold Lions.

The Reflctor tubes were quite good but didn't have what the Genalex or EH Gold pin 6922's offered. There were these subtle differences between the brands and you just have to pick the right one that's to your preference.

Cheers, and keep those tubes glowing!
RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

One of the big advantages of this unit is that it only runs one tube so I will roll tubes to my hearts content.The owners manual says the tubes should last 2 years. Thats fine I've heard other say 6 months. Not sure if I will go with super expensive NOS yet.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

jimbones wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:47 am One of the big advantages of this unit is that it only runs one tube so I will roll tubes to my hearts content.The owners manual says the tubes should last 2 years. Thats fine I've heard other say 6 months. Not sure if I will go with super expensive NOS yet.
I have not owned the ET5, but I have owned four other ET series preamps, including the ET7s2.

My experience was that the OEM tube sounded very good, but did become noisy after several hundred hours. The platinum grade tubes from Upscale did last for a more normal life.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola jimbones,

I am with RJ and also AJ. Winning the jack pot with tubes is always like a Russian roulette. Small tubes become noisy. On the other hand, the Genalex Gold Lion is a fantastic tube. Yes, I had one with noise, but also had noise with Philips made in The Nederland's and a German Make Telefunken. Getting back with the Genalex Gold Lion, with gold pins, has an incredible bass performance without being uncontrollable. Wide stage and great definition. The strings are silky with the right harmonic texture. Violin is very difficult to be reproduces because it is a tiny musical instrument capable to break a crystal glass. In other words a truly dynamic sound comes out from a violin. The brass is right with the tonal finesse on a trumpet or an oboe. You can hear the wood on a clarinet too. The piano is very detail and you can hear easy what the left hand is doing vs the right hand. You can hear the harmony chords along with the melody. The percussion instruments are played nicely too. You get the right amount of energy coming from every stroke of the drummer sticks and also very right with the timber. The cymbals are clean and crispy. And also you can hear the low frequency coming from the cymbals. I am really rediscovering all my music thanks to Conrad Johnson. I am in love with these fine electronic instruments.

The delicated and the tenderness of the voices, are projected to the air with no throats soreness. I love classical and jazz music. I must confess that until now, I can stand a symphonic orchestra. The latest recordings are very clean. When a very complicated music passage is, there is congestion, a heavy distortion in the midrange always present at the end of this complexity passages. With my new toys, the Holo May Kte DAC and the CJ ET-7V2 with the Classic One Twenty SE power amp, this distortion is almost inexistent, not there any more...I am truly in heaven.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

@Roberto Cool. I agree with the fact that the small tubes get hissy. I have an old genelex in my used tube box and tried it and it was hissy. Im goos with theET5 I think that in order to better it I have to go to the GAT. Maybe an S1. S2 is not in my budget. I can do the S1 but in the future. Not sure how much better the S1 is.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Just stick with the ET5, and enjoy it to the fullest. There's really no point in looking at a GAT series preamp, simply because the Prem12's aren't going to sound like any of CJ's LP or ART series amplifiers. If you are considering the GAT route then also be prepared to upgrade the power amps, otherwise you're looking at half baked cake.

In order to get the GAT to optimal performance, it HAS to be partnered with gear on par, nothing less...
Hence, the reason why I haven't been inclined at all to upgrade preamps. If I wanted to, I can close on either the GATS2 or the ART88. However, my main power amps are vintage (no matter what I've modded on them). So in order for me to realise the full potential of the GAT or ART series preamps, I would need to change my power amps, that's a complete overhaul and something I'm not going to do. That requires an awful lot of spend just to get another 15 to 20% better... no thanks.

Anyway, that's just my 50cts worth of advice. After all, it's your money, so if you really want to get a GAT pre then go for it. After about 3 months, you'll also want to upgrade your Prem12's... and the vicious cycle begins!

Cheers, RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Woof!!

I hear ya!! Well I have a buyer IF I ever want to sell my P12's. The problem is I dont want beast power amps. So the P12 is right in my wheelhouse at 47 lbs each. Not sure what the better amps weight.