An Oddity About 8s

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

An Oddity About 8s

Post by AnotherJohnson »

We know that 8 is considered a lucky number in some Oriental cultures and that 4 is associated with death in those cultures.

That is at least part of the reason that some companies avoid 4 as a model descriptor. Obviously McIntosh doesn’t consider this as they tend to have few 8s, and 4s are not shunned (consider the 462 and earlier for example).

In English the fourth letter of the alphabet is D, and it is speculated that D is for “death.” Of course you have to wonder how the English alphabet could influence Oriental culture … it probably does not.

Today I was watching a detective story on DVD while exercising, and a photograph collected in evidence showed a man whose arm had been tatted with 88.

Now we might think that he was a CJ aficionado… but the investigation team all immediately noted that “88 is the symbol of a prison gang. The 8th letter of the English alphabet is H. So 88 is HH, symbolic of the expression “Heil Hitler!”

:shock: :? :lol:

Sounds like you can tie just about anything together if the goal is a story.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: An Oddity About 8s

Post by admin »

My lucky number is 7 and 20.1!

:)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ha! Good one AJ mate. BTW, didn't realise you still watch DVD's!!! Even after all that high-tech gear you have, plus the digital streaming...

I'm just about to hand over our much loved blue ray DVD player to Salvos, along with over 100 DVDs that are collecting fine dust! Sometimes it's wonderful to hold an old DVD in your hand and read the back snippets... there's something special that happens, sort of takes me back in time but I just swift through Netflix now if I'm in the mood for an action flick!

So 88 is no good, uh! That's a good thing why I didn't sign on that dotted line for the ART88 funding... phew!

Cheers maaate!
RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

BTW:

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Happy Easter maties! 🐣
Bless you all from down unda! RJ & co
It's chockie time!!! 😋 😜 😍
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Yes, Happy Easter to those celebrating. Also, a belated Passover greeting. And Ramadan continues, but Eid Al-Fitr is coming soon. Buddha Jayanti was yesterday. Puthandu is this week.

Spring is sprung.

So best wishes to all!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:21 am BTW, didn't realise you still watch DVD's!!! Even after all that high-tech gear you have, plus the digital streaming...
We stream some live events. We have a lot of DVDs, BluRay, 4k, on disk. Sadly we also have nearly every tape or memory card format, and 8mm, Super8, and 16mm (with and without sound tracks). BetaMax playback is long gone. VHS capability is also about gone.

I keep the film for nostalgic reasons. All those evenings sitting in the LR with family, watching cartoons, news reels, short subjects and family films dating back into the 1930’s.

I’ve got home movies of my great grandparents.

I stream new video occasionally now that I’ve set up the low end Denon/Sony/Sonus Faber/Revel HT. Often our current streaming is on one of the MacBook Airs.

As is the case with music, the biggest benefit is access to a wide range of programs without having to commit to a large footprint.

I’m not picky about video quality once it is reliable. The soundtracks are cool though … often not realistic, but cool nevertheless.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ok, now I understand your rationale to keep DVDs. Yes, those were definitely the good old times... always treasured moments.

Cheers mate, have a good one now.
RJ
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

@AJ wrote: In English the fourth letter of the alphabet is D, and it is speculated that D is for “death.” Of course you have to wonder how the English alphabet could influence Oriental culture … it probably does not.
D (delta - Δ δ) is also the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet. Likewise it also most likely has not influenced Asian culture.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Joe Appierto wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:42 pm
D (delta - Δ δ) is also the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet. Likewise it also most likely has not influenced Asian culture.
And then there’s the issue that thanato (root for death) begins with theta rather than delta. 😢
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The plot thickens.

The eighth letter of the Greek alphabet is theta, for Thanatos.

Uh …. Oh …