Please Help Me Decipher a TAS Reviewer's Comment: Capital Audiofest 2022

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Please Help Me Decipher a TAS Reviewer's Comment: Capital Audiofest 2022

Post by Paolo »

This is from 2022 show coverage in TAS written by Alan Taffel. I am perplexed by Jacob Heilbrunn's last comment. Has anyone heard these costly CJ components and do they indeed not sound like tube gear? And if so, why not just stick with solid-state?

Alan Taffel writes:

Conrad-Johnson doesn't get as much hype as some other tubed electronics, but it should. That was evident in the 20/20 Evolution room, which featured Kharma DB9-S speakers driven by Conrad-Johnson monoblocks, a C-J phonostage, and the brand-new ART-88 Limited Edition linestage ($28,500).

"The sound was remarkably fast and detailed. Said Jacob Heilbrunn, who joined me for this session, “You'd never know you were listening to tubes."
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Please Help Me Decipher a TAS Reviewer's Comment: Capital Audiofest 2022

Post by admin »

Tubes are often valued for their "warm" or "musical" sound but often criticized for losing detail or having high THD. I think the reviewer is saying you get the positives of the tubes but you maintain the distortion free aspects of SS gear.

Overall, these seem like very positive sentiments.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It’s just another offhand comment … I often shake my head and wonder about the folks who are paid to write reviews.

There are a few here and there who are fun to read. Take any of them with a grain of salt.

I agree with admin that it is meant to be a positive comment.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Yes, I figured it was meant as a positive. An offhand positive. :)

I rarely read any of the audio mags for equipment reviews, which for me are of little value. @admin, I understand completely. Thanks guys.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that review is quite spot on. CJ's latest top end ART series amplifiers are far more neutral, very fast, dynamic and have SS power with tube finesse. That's the newest ART series gear.

Where the other ART series gear, the ARTsa and ART monoblocks (the monos that Admin has) still hold that CJ signature sound with a bit of that golden glow. More tube warmth and that enveloping affect that CJ tube gear was known for.

The newest offerings from the ART series doesn't have much of this golden glow... whereas the Classic line up does have it. The newest ART series amplifiers is more focused on getting the recording delivered as close as possible to the live event. So if you have very high performance speakers where you can really crank up the volume and experience a full live effect or least a near-live effect, the top end ART series amplifiers will deliver exactly that! Although these are very very pricey, their signature sound is not for everyone, basically due to the fact that most CJ owners were used to a slightly different type of sound. (I'm in that camp, I just prefer the older gear), although having the new ART series gear set-up in a totally different type of system, like Wilson's, Genesis, YG Acoustics, Von S, Gryphon or any of those huge multi-tower type systems, these new ART series amplifiers would be a superb match! So, basically this is a completely different game, a totally different league than any of us are used to.

That one system that we all viewed with much enthusiasm, the owner was from HK. We labelled it as "ultra-high-end " and I can attest that it is very much so!
He has the full ART88 and ART108A match up, plus the speakers are Magico's Q7! The cabling was a full Nordost loom comprising of Odin's. That cabling alone is more costly than my entire system put together!

Truly superb, yet very very top dollar. This is the highend level I'm talking about. Also, according to him, he says he's got mates who have more lofty systems, and his one is in fact quite humble... there you go!

Whatever shape, size or form, just as long as you're enjoying those fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Thank you RJ for further elucidation. Not that I'll ever have such a lofty system but even if I took out a second mortgage to step up the audio ladder, I'm still a "golden glow" kinda guy. Which means I'd likely find some older first-tier CJ gear and bring it up to spec as necessary.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Good stuff matey, without a doubt!
Cheers, RJ