How about guitars?

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: How about guitars?

Post by SteveFord »

That is nice.
At first glance I thought it was a Johnny A model, I guess that's where he got the idea for his model.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

SteveFord wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:02 am That is nice.
At first glance I thought it was a Johnny A model, I guess that's where he got the idea for his model.
Gibson made a very similar “Trini Lopez” model during the same general period. These (the Barney Kessel model) were made in a custom version and a regular version. They both seem to be out there in closets and attics.

When a guitar has the name of an artist on it, another artist is unlikely to perform with it, even for club level bands.

I would not have considered it if it weren’t a pretty wall hanger. And since the regular model appears to have a laminated top, it can be hung without too much concern about cracking the top during the low humidity heating season.

Barney is/was one of my guitar heroes. He was inspired by Charlie Christian, a fellow Oklahoman. Charlie Christian is credited as the first electrified guitarist.

Barney was THE man as far as jazz guitar was concerned, during the era that immediately preceded the British Invasion. His interpretations are simple, and so elegant.

I’ve noticed through playback on my currently evolved system that there is far more detail in his early recordings than I’d previously recognized.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

SteveFord wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:02 am That is nice.
I had to look Johnny A up.

Turns out I grew up in the same neck of the woods … but he didn’t start his first band until I had been gone two years.

I see he played with later incarnations of bands that did exist during my time there, like J. Geils.

Gibson is/was often inscrutable especially during Henry J’s guidance. If ever there were a great, iconic company that was run to the ground after being taken over by MBAs, it’s Gibson.

The Barney Kessel model was introduced 14 years before Johnny A started The Streets. By the time Johnny A’s band was up and running, I think the Barney Kessel model was already discontinued.

I don’t know how I missed Johnny A. He’s had a long career. FWIW, Antonopoulas isn’t hard to pronounce. Growing up nearby, I had plenty of friends of Greek descent with equally long multi syllabic names.

It looks like the Johnny A model is still in production. 🥳
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

My Gits (moved from other thread)
IMG_0156.jpeg
IMG_0156.jpeg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 3568 times
IMG_0157.jpeg
IMG_0157.jpeg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 3568 times
IMG_0158.jpeg
IMG_0158.jpeg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 3568 times
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

My gits, moved from other thread....
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Guitars and maggies in one picture. Doesn't get much better than that!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

What a lovely guitars! Also, they are in a super great shape. I inherit my dad's acoustic guitar. It was made in 1927, so soon will hit the 100 years. It is in a great shape too. And you can see inside the label with the signature and the date of the Luthier Mr. Manuel Prada, a Costa Rican strings luthier that long time ago, before the Internet, the British Encyclopaedia said that he was the only person in Latin America who was capable to repair a Stradivarius Violin. He was that good. I am going to take some pics and so you can see this guitar.

Thanks for sharing those beautiful guitars! And same with Admin, beautiful Magneplanar speakers behind them.

Happy listening
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

Thank you, Roberto for such a wonderful story!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

This is the Princess: It is going to hit the 100 years in five more years...
IMG_7480.JPG
IMG_7480.JPG (3.58 MiB) Viewed 3543 times
IMG_7481.JPG
IMG_7481.JPG (3.7 MiB) Viewed 3543 times
IMG_7482.JPG
IMG_7482.JPG (2.78 MiB) Viewed 3543 times
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Audiobill,

My first guitar lesson and many ahead was with this beautiful study type classical guitar. The model is more flamenco type than classical, but its sound is warm and nice to play it. The Nec fret is ebony and Cedar. The front top is Pino Abeto Aleman. (Pine Silver Fir from Germany) and the sides and back are Rose Wood from India. Frets are made of pure silver. And the mouth (the opening of the guitar) has a hand made Roseta:
IMG_7484.JPG
IMG_7484.JPG (4.31 MiB) Viewed 3543 times

I can't imagine this kind of art work. All different type of wood and incrusted to the pine wood.

Thanks Audiobill,
Roberto.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The craftsmanship is nothing short of amazing.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Yes Admin,

At that time, the Luthier had to do everything. It is a work of art. I am just a happy owner of this beauty.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Beautiful classical guitars, Roberto. You are blessed to have your father’s from 1927.

1927 was the year Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs. You’ve got a home run there too.

Enjoy!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Is that true? The wife is the baseball fan of the family. I will ask her about it. If she did not know, I will tell her.

The truth is that this guitar is that old, and has a super clean and crispy sound. I also believe how blessed I am having it with me.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

Very sweet guitars, Roberto!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks Audiobill