Hello -- New to group

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
Pete Hanson
Beginner
Beginner

Hello -- New to group

Post by Pete Hanson »

Hello all. While I never stopped listening to music all the time, my audio equipment and LPs have been in storage for many years. Just got them out recently. My MV50 amp was very noisy so sent it in and Jeff at C-J said it was beyond repair for a reasonable cost, so I traded it in for Classic62. Still have my PV9 preamp. Phono stage has static, but line stage is perfectly quiet.
What is the best option for getting replacement tubes?
Poking around on this discussion forum has been very interesting - glad I found it!
Pete
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello -- New to group

Post by admin »

Welcome Pete,
Great to have you with us.

Sorry to hear about the loss fo the MV50, but congrats on the new Classic 62. I think that was a nice upgrade into the modern era and should last many years. The PV9 is great but as you have seen it is showing its age. You can always look into getting separate phono pre and just bypass the faulty circuits for now.

As for tubes, you can search the forums as tube shops have been discussed. There are a lot of good choices but of course tubes have gotten very expensive since Mr. Putin's "special operation." So expect to pay a premium.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, greetings from down unda.

Well done on the Classic 62, that's a big step from the MV50 on all aspects of amplification.
The PV9 tubes aren't anything fancy nor rare... so a number of stores will have them. Just a matter of finding the price you're most comfortable with.

Since you've already had service from CJ and Jeff was able to help you wisely... Check if they've got stock.
The others would be:
Upscale
Tube Store
Tube Depot
Watford Valves

Have ordered from all of these suppliers, no major issues so far, other than a few noisy batches... other than that pretty much ok. Watford Valves UK is my main place, apart from CJ HQ of course. CJ charges a premium price but that includes tested and matched and comes with 90 days warranty or least that's what I got when I received two pairs of 6N30P's that I had ordered last year.

PV9 is nice vintage gear, and it has served quite well over the decades. If you really wanted to partner the Classic 62 with a fine preamp that will bring out the best in quality of the Classic 62's performance, I would very highly recommend the Classic preamp or Classic 2. Then there's always the PV15 or an ET3/se, which do come up for sale on the used market. These newer models use remote though, so I'm not sure if you'd like the remote function.

Whereas the Classic/SE and Classic 2 preamps don't use remote. They're very simple in design, no bells or whistles and reproduce music with finesse. I really enjoyed the music when I had the Classic SE, fitted with a pair of Mullard M8080 tubes, it was a remarkable preamp for the price.

All the best, and let us know how it goes.
Cheers, RJ
Pete Hanson
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Pete Hanson »

Thank you Admin for the welcome and the advice, and thank you Big Dog RJ for the recommendations. I will check them out. I have thought about getting a separate phone stage to bypass the problem, but that seems perhaps an unwise, costly temporary fix f a new preamp is in my future.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Pete Hanson wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:53 am Thank you Admin for the welcome and the advice, and thank you Big Dog RJ for the recommendations. I will check them out. I have thought about getting a separate phone stage to bypass the problem, but that seems perhaps an unwise, costly temporary fix f a new preamp is in my future.
Welcome!
The Classic 62 should be noticeably better than the vintage amp, even though it is a classic design.

Regarding the stand alone phono preamp, it is a good idea.

Most higher end modern preamps do not have built in phono stages, so if you need one now, you will probably need one later too.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Welcome Pete,

I just want to add that the 62 is a current model. You can't do a comparison between the MV50 and this Classic 62. The 62 has much better components and offers much better specs like the S/R. The 62 is much quieter and cleaner, almost having the same principle in the circuit topology. The new Trannies and the electronic components are the difference too. The input stage is different, shorter signal path, so the audio signal is less touched.

All these will provide much better steady stage, wider and also depth sound quality. Cleaner sound with much higher extension on the top octaves and better harmonic texture detail.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
paulCJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by paulCJ »

Congrats on the Classic62 amp and the PV9 preamp! I have a PV10AL and an MV55. I had CJ upgrade the caps in my MV55 a few years ago and the amp sounds even better than before. I get tubes directly from CJ.

The sound descriptions of the Classic62 make the amp sound tempting.
Pete Hanson
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Pete Hanson »

Replacing the PV9. I got a used ET3 and having Jeff and C-J install a phono stage.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Pete Hanson wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:26 pm Replacing the PV9. I got a used ET3 and having Jeff and C-J install a phono stage.
That will be very nice. Congratulations!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pete Hanson wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:26 pm Replacing the PV9. I got a used ET3 and having Jeff and C-J install a phono stage.
Cool. Let us know what you think when you get it back and start playing some tunes.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.