Classic SE (Teflon Capacitors) Burn-in time?

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Mcbrion
Regular
Regular

Classic SE (Teflon Capacitors) Burn-in time?

Post by Mcbrion »

Can someone comment on their experience on the burn-in time with the Teflon capacitors? I've just received my preamp back recently, and thought -- Teflon being what it is -- that the capacitors would take at least 200 hours for full burn-in. Called CJ, who said they burned them in 40 hours at the factory and they really had no "take" on the burn-in time, as some heard changes over time and some people did not.
Is it not traditional (or, "common wisdom") that Teflon takes a while to break in? More so than other kinds of capacitors (except Mundorfs)? :roll:
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: Classic SE (Teflon Capacitors) Burn-in time?

Post by jeffreybehr »

I think most of us would say that Teflon-film caps require about 500 hours of break-in to sound their best.

Do let us know what you find.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jeffreybehr wrote:I think most of us would say that Teflon-film caps require about 500 hours of break-in to sound their best.

Do let us know what you find.
Wow, that's a long burn-in. I would probably get some cheap tubes to put in the unit while burning in the caps, you probably don't want to take 500 hours of life from the tubes just for burning in the caps.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
rthomeint
Advanced
Advanced

Post by rthomeint »

It's a pain but the burn in is worth it. I used a calendar and mark the hours each day and total the numbers at the end of the week. I would hours on and hour off this cycling is suppose to hasten the burn in I would run my MET150 4-6 hours on 1 hour off and off at night. I my room is under my bedroom and I didn't way to let an amp running unattend for extended periods. with a pre it should be easier.