Joe Pass: Virtuoso

Anything you can hear or see.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Joe Pass: Virtuoso

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Joe Pass was another gifted guitarist who, after working since age 14 finally became an overnight sensation when this album was recorded by the 44 year old Pass in 1973.

Joe was able to keep up with, and even challenge, Oscar Peterson and Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen.

The fastest guitarist I’ve ever personally known was offered a chance (by Chet Atkins) to record with Oscar Peterson as a young man. He turned it down for fear he couldn’t keep up.

This solo album shows off Joe’s incredible skills. I’ve got it on repeat right now. If you like jazz guitar standards, here’s a chance to hear them in a fresh light. Joe kills it.
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 1351 times
E09EC11A-48D6-486F-90A9-9F98AEEF0C72.jpeg
E09EC11A-48D6-486F-90A9-9F98AEEF0C72.jpeg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 1351 times
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Joe Pass: Virtuoso

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I put it on repeat again for three plays yesterday. That’s unusual behavior for me. This is a haunting performance that leaves the lifelong guitar aficionado with a dropped jaw. This recording was made about 50 years ago. To my ears, Jack Wilkins comes close to showing this level of creativity. I can’t think of others off hand.

It’s not just about the speed. Of course someone who was less attracted to jazz standards from the Duke Ellingtonesque era would probably be less clear on why this work is excellent.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Joe Pass: Virtuoso

Post by admin »

I listened to this album the other week. Very nice. Acoustic guitar always sounds amazing. Joe Pass is a very talented musician.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.