ET7V2 Tube rolling.

The PV-1 to now...
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

ET7V2 Tube rolling.

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

I had a very interesting evening today. A friend came to my house to listen some music and have a good wine of course. The conversation went to if there are tubes with better tonality, being the same number but different maker. I had on hand a Philips Holland made, a Sovtec and a Gold Lion gold pins. All 6922 tubes.

We chose the reference material and spent about 45 minutes listening each tube. He liked very much the Philips, and I liked the Gold Lion, perhaps it is because I am listening it for several months. I think that my ears are accustomed to it.

I was a hard task with some of the listening material, all three tubes were not showing a big difference. In the strings is where I felt the difference and in the voices. Wind instruments were very similar and all of them exhibit great dynamics and great stage. I thought that the difference was going to be more, or my ears are not as good as I thought. The Sovtec was not bad too and it is a very cheap one.

I had a difference in the bass section. The Gold Lion was the winner for me, much better control in the deepest notes and less boomy. The Philips is a wow with the bass and also has a great tone with the strings...a lot of bass comes from this tube.

We listen mostly jazz and classical music. Some pop too. We had a notebook where I wrote what I listened at a particular time.
This was my findings and I hope this might help you, the tube rollers.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: ET7V2 Tube rolling.

Post by Big Dog RJ »

That's a nice comparison Robbo.

I found my preference to be the Genalex Gold Lions as well but sometimes I do prefer the midrange on the EH or Phillips tubes. It's very subtle, not a big deal but once I fit the tube/s and it works, with zero noise, zero microphone's, and no ringing, I just leave it!

That's generally the tube I prefer. The GGL's and EH tubes are basically identical! Same construction, same factory, with perhaps slight variations in gain...and yet they sound quite different. Both are fabulous! Including the Phillips.

Enjoy those very fine tunes matey!
Woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good info to have. I'm trying to hold off on the tube rolling exploits with my ET7s2 due to the current inflated tube price situation. I hope that it will return to normal in the future so I will probably play around with different tubes at that point. This kind of info is really helpful. Thanks for providing insight.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I had a right channel noise, a hissing and a pppprrrrrtttttttpppppsssss kind of sound in a very low level...but it was there. Changed my beloved Genalex Gold Pins 6922 and back to business. All signal tubes are culprit of might having this.

Signal tubes often produces this hissing. I got this from a Philips Holland made from my previous ET7 and now a Genalex Gold Lion. These tubes are NOS, and are made with today's materials. Reading the advertisement from the the makers, usually say that today's materials are better giving better specifications in signal to noise ration and performance. The truth is that still small tubes do this unwanted noise.

Just before the pandemia, I bought some signal tubes Gold Lion gold pins, so I do have enough spares in stock. Also bought KT 120, but these tubes last a lot.

Getting back to the tube rolling, all E88CC/6922 are overall good sounding tubes. I could live with any of them. Yes, they do sound different, and everyone is good and not necessary better. Slightly different. These results are in my system and toys,

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.