Ultimate
Ultimate

Coleman Hawkins / Soul

Post by AnotherJohnson »

796EA0AB-5EE1-4E8D-965D-FF1C936537E3.jpeg
796EA0AB-5EE1-4E8D-965D-FF1C936537E3.jpeg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 1733 times
C24D7A86-0899-48F7-81CF-E30BD47C7AEB.jpeg
C24D7A86-0899-48F7-81CF-E30BD47C7AEB.jpeg (3.94 MiB) Viewed 1733 times
Since the LP12 is spinning to break in the Karousel bearing, why not drop the needle?

This one was recorded in late 1958 at Rudy Van Gelder’s.

It was rereleased in 1984 and this copy is from that release.

It sounds grand. I am a fan of both Hawk and Kenny Burrell … Ray Bryant’s not too shabby either.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Coleman Hawkins / Soul

Post by Joe Appierto »

AJ wrote:
I am a fan of both Hawk and Kenny Burrell
I only have one album by Kenny Burrell, a DSD64 download, and it's a little later original release from May, 1963 but definitely one of my favorites from this time period.

Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’ve got a couple of feet of Kenny (in my stacks).
I think there is a 2012 Remaster of Midnight Blue, and I’ve listened to it on both the dCS Rossini Apex and on the Rose 150B. In both cases the systems were excellent and were well set up. When I walked in on the Rose presentation (high end Naim driving fancy Vandersteens), I knew it was a great system. In the other case it was ARC Ref 6SE and Ref 160 S driving Wilson Alexia Vs. It was great too.

I think I’ll go play the vinyl right now.

Of course I really like Kenny’s interpretations and skills. I like his recorded work better than that of Wes.

Kenny, as you probably know, has lived a very long life, and in the last half he’s been professor of Jazz at the Herb Alpert School. As often happens when we age, he’s not as alert as he once was … but recordings from his hey day are nearly always worth a listen, either when he’s the leader, or when he’s “just” a side man.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Great call Joe!

Another Rudy Van Gelder masterpiece recording!

We definitely need to add this one to the “Recordings that don’t suck” list. 🤣🤣🤣

My copy is not the 1963 release* but a later reissue in the cassette era. The album cover says it’s also available on XDR cassette. Also notes that it is Direct Metal Mastering from the original master tape.

It sounds beautiful, and of course the musicians and Rudy Van Gelder were working their magic.

*The CD cited below says the original recording date was 1967 … I suppose some digging might clarify. One must be wrong.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

And … on to the CD. The vinyl I have appears to be from 1984.

The CD is a 1998 remaster done by Rudy Van Gelder. It has two bonus cuts, 8 min 14 sec of additional program. The CD I have is labeled as “The Rudy Van Gelder Edition.”

That’s one thing I like about many CDs, and I’m sure the digital downloads add extra material sometimes too. That is a decided advantage in favor of more modern media. Another album that is so blessed is Miles Davis’ Sketches of Spain on SACD. It includes alternate takes of some of the material. A lot of times when an album includes alternate takes it’s easy to speculate about the reason for the initial choices.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

The track listing from the digital download I have (don't remember but probably HD Tracks) is as follows:

Chitlins Con Carne
Mule
Soul Lament
Midnight Blue
Wavy Gravy
Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You
Saturday Night Blues
Kenny's Sound (Take 10)
K Twist (Take 35)

I believe the last two tracks were bonus tracks on the CD and also with the download.

According to Wikipedia:

Released Early May 1963
Recorded January 8, 1963 Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs
Genre Jazz
Length 35:39 (original LP)
45:18 (CD reissue)
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets