MV55

From tubes to solid state.
SYMPHONY-AUDIO
Beginner
Beginner

MV55

Post by SYMPHONY-AUDIO »

Hi!...is it possible to use the MV55 with 4 ohm loads? I have seen in the schematic that it says 4 ohm, but the user manual says 8 ohm......this is a bit confusing

Thanks!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: MV55

Post by Big Dog RJ »

All CJ tube power amplifiers are factory set for 4 Ohms. Of course they can drive 4 Ohm loads as well as 8 Ohms, no issues whatsoever. They can also be customised for 8 or 16 Ohms if the owner wishes to do so but will be done at the factory.

Keep in mind when driving speakers with 4 Ohm loads, speakers of this nature will probably drop in impedence to less than 4 Ohms and this is one of the very reasons why CJ amps are designed at 4 Ohms. The other reason is that their power supplies are capable of higher current and much more stable voltage, so absolutely no issues driving 4 Ohms.

If you're using 8 Ohm speakers or speakers that have a Nominal impedence of 8 Ohms, CJ amps will just cruise along... no sweat!

Hope that helps! And welcome to CJO.
RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I agree with RJ that you should be able to run 4 ohm speakers on an MV55.

It should have 4, 8, and 16 ohm external taps.

https://conradjohnson.com/vintage-conra ... -products/

I had the MV52. Great amps for their price point and era.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:48 am Keep in mind when driving speakers with 4 Ohm loads, speakers of this nature will probably drop in impedence to less than 4 Ohms and this is one of the very reasons why CJ amps are designed at 4 Ohms. The other reason is that their power supplies are capable of higher current and much more stable voltage, so absolutely no issues driving 4 Ohms.
And with some speakers some dramatic drops below 4 ohms. Especially true for some planars.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hello there...?

No reply from the OP, must be enjoying those fine tunes...
I hope!
MattHooper
Pro
Pro

Post by MattHooper »

I started my CJ journey with the MV55. It had a gorgeous midrange and drove my Quad ESL 63s beautifully and even my larger VR 4 Gen 2 speakers.
But in the end, when I was having lots of different speakers through my place, I found the MV55 struggled to power more difficult speakers. That's what spurred my upgrade to the Premier 12s. They had most of the magic of the MV55 but could drive anything I put in front of them. Haven't needed to change for over 20 years.