CJ's new ART series

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
MattHooper
Pro
Pro

Re: CJ's new ART series

Post by MattHooper »

The decline of Thiel after Jim's death, especially once it got in to the hands of several ludicrous non-audiophile owners, was one of the sadder things to witness in the high end audio world.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

MattHooper wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:32 pm The decline of Thiel after Jim's death, especially once it got in to the hands of several ludicrous non-audiophile owners, was one of the sadder things to witness in the high end audio world.
Amen. I can’t think of his name, but there was a Jeff Fischel kind of guy there who was able to provide support for a while.

Once they started talking about the downtown Nashville Thiel Showroom, I was excited. But it soon became apparent that the new owners were not the right folks to keep it going. It was very sad.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
MattHooper
Pro
Pro

Post by MattHooper »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:13 pm
MattHooper wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:32 pm The decline of Thiel after Jim's death, especially once it got in to the hands of several ludicrous non-audiophile owners, was one of the sadder things to witness in the high end audio world.
Amen. I can’t think of his name, but there was a Jeff Fischel kind of guy there who was able to provide support for a while.

That would be Rob Gillum. He was a long time Thiel technician, around for quite a while after Thiel collapsed and eventually set up a business servicing legacy Thiel speakers:

https://www.coherentsourceservice.com/

He'd saved all that spare Thiel inventory used for servicing over the years (cabinets, drivers, crossovers, etc).

I bought my spare drivers from Rob and he's been a good source for info.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Thanks for the link. I’m going to call him on Monday and offer my drivers and crossovers.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Very true mate!
Back then we didn't sell Thiel's, it was mostly Paradigm, Energy, SF, Dali, Infinity's, and Genesis as cabinet types. And Maggie's, ML's and Quads as panel types...
However, we sold quite a lot of audio gear to Thiel owners, and over the years when Thiel was no more, all these owners switched over to Genesis speakers. A very few kept their Thiel's and refurbed or heavily modded them. They still sound quite good but I do miss that original Thiel sound from the refurbed ones.

A few also switched to either KEF or Vandersteen but no where near the Thiel's! Especially those big CS7's outstanding!

Cheers to Thiel!
RJ
MattHooper
Pro
Pro

Post by MattHooper »

Yeah, having heard most of the Thiel line through the years (Including the 7.2s), I think Jim's final design, the 3.7s, where his most accomplished.
The coherency was the best - better than any dynamic speaker I've heard, and it didn't have the brightness - it was rich and smooth, but had all those Thiel attributes of precision and dynamics too.

I was just blasting my Thiel 2.7s and...wow! The tangibility of the sound never fails to blow me away!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one Matt-H, keep those tunes playing and those tubes a-glowing!

Cheers, RJ